WSJT-X and IC7300 40m problem

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by ZL2UB, May 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. ZL2UB

ZL2UB Ham Member QRZ Page

When I try and use WSJT-X with my IC7300 on 40m's in FT8 mode, it locked the tx and the only fix is to reboot the radio.

This does not happen when working 20m's.

Wondering if anyone has encounted something like this and what a solution might be.

Thanks in advance
    Dave
    ZL2UB

2. WW1WW

WW1WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a 7300 for FT8 exclusively on all bands and the only time I had a problem was with a defective or maybe too long a USB cable? I replaced an old 6 foot cable with a new 3 foot USB cable and the issues went away.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had similar problems on 40m in the past when using PSK31 with an Yaesu rig. It would sometimes lock up the rig, cause the attached computer to freeze, an/or make the monitors switch on and off at random. The cause was RFI and I solved it by moving one end of my antenna.

What kind of antenna/feedline are you using, at what power, and how close is it to the rig?

4. ZL2UB

I do have a long USB lead, so can I can get a shorter lead and try this out
    Thanks

5. ZL2UB

I am using a G5RV Junior approximately 8 meters above the ground level. This is center feed by 50Ohmn coax through a 1:1 balun.

However the balun is approximately a 1 or so away from the rig.

Not sure how moveable any of this is currently.

6. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

what sort of balun are you using?

7. ZL2UB

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

RFI for sure. I had this problem on 80M. A shorter cable, with a ferrite clamp, and away from the coax, should solve the problem.

9. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely RFI with that ladder line radiating so close to the rig. Do everything you can to separate/move the ladder line away from anything else, and use lots of ferrite chokes to help protect what you can. Reducing power will help too, but the best thing you can do is to get that balun and ladder line as far away as possible within whatever restrictions you may have.

W1XWX likes this.