WSJT-X and FT-891

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by W7JSS, Oct 1, 2017.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6CPR

W6CPR Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5VGK likes this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-891 seems to be a tremendous value. I was thinking about getting one some time ago. I then saw some reports of a condition involving the CAT control that impacted digital operations. Since digital is my main interest these days, the idea died there.

Nothing seen recently. Anybody knows if the issue is still present?

3. W7JSS

W7JSS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

VA3VF I've used the FT-891 for digital for quite some time now, no issues with CAT control vs digital operations. Hooking it up is hardest part, that is figuring out what goes where and how the controls work with the software (it's not always obvious). Currently I'm trying to get mine to work with a Raspberry Pi and can get everything to work with the radio and the software but no TX. I also recently bought a NW Digital DRAWS hat to help streamline things for going mobile, but for some reason the FT-891 isn't very easy to se up with the hat. Haven't tried it yet but watching the feedback on their forum indicates it's a PIA to get things tweeked and I don't have the time right now. Otherwise it's a great radio in my opinion and sometimes I favor it over my other radios because it's just more fun to play with. It works wonderfully with digital and you can crank the watts down about as far as you want to.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the input. Good to hear there are no issues.

If I go for it, I will use a Signalink USB. I have one connected to an IC-718, but since getting an IC-7300, it's just collecting dust. Tigertronics has a cable for the FT-891, so I think it should be no problem to set things up.

As for the RPi, the Signalink USB is plug&play. I did use it for a period of time. The problem is that the RPi does not have the horse power needed to deep search in FT8 mode, when running either WSJT-X or JTDX., and would always overshoot into the next 15 seconds cycle.

5. KF5VGK

KF5VGK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Used the info provided from Julian (OH8STN) in the video above and my 891 is working perfectly on the digital modes.