WSJT-X---73

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KD9VV, Sep 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA0RVK

WA0RVK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm.....ok, that very well may explain why I've not been getting a "73" from a lot of stations I work after I've sent them my "RR73". Perhaps it's not intentional, but rather because they are having this issue. I've not had it happen to myself that I can recall, but I've sure been wondering why so many stations don't finish off with that last "73" lately, especially since so many stations won't log a QSO if they don't get that final "73". If they send me an "R+xx" , that verifies to me that he got my report and if he got my "RR73", that verifies to him that I got it. If he does not get my "RR73" then he needs to send my report again, and I will repeat the transmission. That final "73" is redundant, although I am OCD enough that I have to admit it seems like something is kind of left hanging if I don't get it. But, the practice of leaving it out seems to have become awfully frequent lately, and maybe it's not intentional after all. So may DX stations won't QSL if they don't get that final "73" that I always send it anyway, but I don't always get it. Personally, I log when I send, or receive, that "RR73" whether I get anything back or not. It's a complete QSO from my end, and it goes in the log.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if it goes into the other guy's log without him sending 73? I suspect it might not unless that has been changed also.

3. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually final 73s are just a courtesy. Your RR73 means you have sent your report for other party and after that have received other party's report for you so with sending RR73 you confirm mandatory data was successfully exchanged.

I personally see nothing bad in that practice. You may choose to answer or not. In contrary to CW/SSB a person that calls you usually doesn't jam the station you've worked right now.

I consider QSO successfully finished and logged with getting RR73 from other party. Still I send 73 as a courtesy.

I'm not advanced FT8 OP so all that said is just my two cents.​

4. KP4SX

Of course. But in the new program he is not always sending 73 or RR73. That is the complaint. I have to send 73 for it to go in my log so I suspect the same applies to the other guy.
    "73" triggers the logging function so its more than simply courtesy.

5. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

I use JTDX. Having being a WSJT-X's fork it generally works the same still have slightly (IMO sure) more convenient UI and may be set to log QSO automatically after RR73 from other party as well as after RR73 from me to other station.

6. WA0RVK

WA0RVK Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you talking about manually initiating the logging function, or if the program automatically logs the QSO? I have WSJT-X set to pop up a dialog box with the QSO data, then I have to OK the action before it's sent to the log. That dialog box pops up as soon as the software begins the RR73 cycle. I prefer to get confirmation that it went in the log as well, so I click "OK" in the dialog box to send it into the log, then see the dialog box that says it was successfully logged. Are you not getting the dialog box with "RR73" but only when you transmit "73"?

David
    WAƘRVK

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    KA0HCP likes this.
  7. KP4SX

Transmitting 73 or RR73 triggers the dialog box to open for me to log. The concern is about the other fellow who doesn't send the last 73. Did he log it?
    The other problem described elsewhere is if a person calls me with a signal report vs grid square initially my sequence will not roll to 73 . (I forget which it is). I have to manually initiate the 73/log dialog.
    I've quit using ver 2.4 because of this.

8. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

You can click the log button to open the logging dialog box at any time. You don't have to send 73. I don't consider it good practice not to use the prescribed protocol but then I always have to option not to respond.

9. KP4SX

That's what you have to do when the other guy breaks sequence and the box doesn't come up automatically.