ad: cq2k-1

WSJT Around the World Balloon WSPR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G6YZC, Nov 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G6YZC

G6YZC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Joe Taylor K1JT posted a link on the latest WSJT QRP Labs balloon beacon about a week ago. I just took another look at it and was amazed that it is still flying. A fantastic use for K1JT software and the QRP Labs beacons. A nice write up in QST on them too. I know you have seen me raving about what these guys are doing with these around the World balloons but it is a great part of our hobby to get younger Hams drawn into the hobby. If you have not yet seen these balloons please look at the Balloon tracking site.

http://qrp-labs.com/flights/s18

Paul N2EME

K3RW and KR4EE like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wicked cool!

3. G6YZC

G6YZC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KT4NR

KT4NR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is what public service could mean in the 21st century. We can still do EMCOM but here we are actually gathering data and sharing data on ocean and air currents. Pretty awesome!

KF5CSW likes this.
  5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome--I wonder how long it can stay up there. I'll try to catch it next time around.

One would think the North Koreans might shoot it down... glad they played nicely on this one.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

No question the technology is fascinating but my question concerns the regulatory aspects of a beacon operating below 28 MHZ with no licensed amateur in control.
    "Like the former flights, this one also used a special U3S firmware version on an Arduino Nano board. The primary tracking mechanism was WPSR with callsign VE3OCL. An ordinary WSPR transmission was sent every 12 minutes on 30m and 20m. It was followed by a special WSPR message that contained telemetry (altitude, more precise location, battery voltage, speed, temperature and GPS status). Please read the transmitter details section for more information"

Sec. 97.203 Beacon station
    (d) A beacon may be automatically controlled while it is transmitting on the 28.20–28.30 MHz, 50.06–50.08 MHz, 144.275–144.300 MHz, 222.05–222.06 MHz or 432.300–432.400 MHz segments, or on the 33 cm and shorter wavelength bands.

I note that a Canadian call was used for the beacon so it's operation would seem to fall under Canada's regs to the extent it's in Canadian territory don't know if they have a similar regulation with respect to beacons beyond that not sure what would apply ...reciprocal agreements ?? If you are able to cite the rule or regulation that applies would appreciate the information.

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

K3XR, I understand your concern. But somehow I think WSPR is a lot more polite than the APRS spam that long duration balloons usually use.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Appreciate your comment not "concerned" just curious with respect to the regulations involved and based on your reply you may not have the answer.