ad: QSKLLC-1

Wrist rest?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N6YWU, Nov 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone keying American style (arm on the table) use any sort of soft or cushioned arm or wrist rest?
    Or just rest your wrist directly on the hardwood (etc.).

2. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a mouse pad...

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, arm on the table is the best and easiest way to send code effortlessly.

Never used a "pad" of any kind, the desktop works fine.

KI5WW and N4FZ like this.
  4. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't, but I'm lucky to have a straight key that sits very low to the desktop. Ergonomics are hugely important. If you can't send comfortably, you will not be able to send well over the long haul. I learned this the hard way.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think alternating with the 'European method" of having the key on the edge of the desk and the arm hanging naturally by the side is the best way to avoid cramping and fatigue.

W5BIB and W6MK like this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My elbow rests on the table, but my wrist is elevated.

When I let my arm lie flat on the table, like Steve, I get "glass arm" in about fifteen or twenty minutes. With my elbow resting and wrist elevated, and the key screwed directly to the table instead of on a thick "base," I can operate at least a couple of hours at 15 WPM without discomfort.

But I can send faster with my arm flat on the table like Steve...

7. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I would try both and do what works best. See examples of Yankee and European style keying. I don't think there was any difference in the prevalence of telegrapher overuse syndromes on either side of the pond.

How to send..jpeg

C.T.O. operating position.jpg

8. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I tend to rest the heel of my hand, pinky curled, on table. Hand slightly rotated and paddle or bugs elevated with a block of wood so that the ergonomics feels very comfortable. Then, paddle or bug, only enough motion to accomplish the task at hand. Used the European system with straight key and it's a great way to send also. You will find what works best for you. 73.

9. LZ3NY

LZ3NY Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually my arm is on the table.

W5WTH likes this.
  10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wrist rest is a bit of a tongue twister, but not as bad as "The rich witch's Swiss wristwatch."

KI5WW likes this.