WR6G "DOES NOT" USE A GMAIL ACCOUNT!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR6G, Jul 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On a different group many years ago there was one lady who made a habit of being a sucker. It was the email from Microsoft telling you to delete such and such file because it was infected. She did so and killed her computer - not once but three times and bought a new one/paid someone to fix it each time. People tried to beat it into her head that all of that was phony but no one was able to convince her that the emails were not from Microsoft.
    "Ok, I understand the problem but why would Microsoft keep sending me these emails?"
    She never got it.
    This type of ignorance is the market for bad guys.

KU4X, W7UUU and WZ7U like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I don't "like" it but I agree whole heartedly!

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

sbcglobal.net ?? thats an oldie but a goodie :)

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's just it. Scammers work this forum because of the sales venue. There's plenty of unverified accounts with no email address listed and all they have to do is pick one.
    To gloat about "It doesn't matter, my email address is not a secret" in the midst of all the thieves is sort of like leaning into the punch. They'll make sport of you in a heartbeat.
    People are like that :oops:

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, not so much anymore. IDV pretty much shuts that channel off NOW.

Unverified accounts, accounts with no email address posted, accounts seldom used to post, doesn't matter.

Scammers CANNOT "sell" in the Swapmeet because unless the scammer has pretty amazing skills, they will never achieve ID Verified Status to be able to post in the Swapmeet. Sure, they could possibly still use Phishing emails to get login credentials - but that will NOT ALLOW them to post a "for sale ad". If a poster here is not ID VERIFIED, they CANNOT post a for sale item here - period!

Just the way it is now. VERY difficult to hack. Possible? Sure... but no system is 100% immune to attack I suppose. But QRZ is head and shoulders above the other sites that allow ham radio swapmeet sales....

Dave
    W7UUU

AJ4GQ likes this.
  6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

You want old? My brother still uses his AOL e-mail addy.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So do a great many "old school" celebrity types - they maintain their original "throw away" email address to filter out the riffraff....

Know that one of the biggest names in Ham Radio who is a bonafide "Celebrity" still to this day uses his AOL address to all the
    folks that are not on his "close personal family" list... and I've emailed with him, and had a CQ article with him as the cover
    story. But not like I can just "pop him a note from time to time"... doesn't work like that.

Think about it ... if MILLIONS of people wanted to email you... and you WANT to peruse those emails and respond to what
    floats your "Celebrity Boat"... do you really want to use your "real" address??

Old-time addresses like AOL and similar have their value....

Food for thought....

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda like leaving your front door unlocked ("unsecured") and later wondering why someone burglarized your house when you weren't home.

Yet, these kind of so called "victims" are on the 5 o'clock news every single day.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask Joe how he's doing next time ya get him on the horn. :cool:

10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not. Orange is my colour. LOL