WR6G "DOES NOT" USE A GMAIL ACCOUNT!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR6G, Jul 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WR6G

WR6G Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the years and as of late, there has been a hacker attempting to use my account to sell equipment that I am not selling or even own.
    I am sure they do not even have the said equipment at all and they are just trying to scam you out of money at the cost of my good name! They even try buying your equipment by offering to send a courier to your QTH with a check. I had this happen recently when I was contacted by a scammer using someone else's call sign with a gmail domain. Simply put...DON'T DO IT!!

What they do is hack in to my QRZ page and either remove or change the true email address to a gmail domain address, then post equipment for sale under the new gmail address. I just want it to be known that I DO NOT use a gmail account or any other "free" domain EVER!!

So if you see what appears to be me selling or wanting to buy HAM gear with my call sign or email with a gmail domain name, please ignore it, it is a scammer! Scammers use gmail so always question free domains used in a email address and ask for a phone number to call along with sending pictures of the equipment! Also have them put a call sign identifier next to it and not a hand written call on a piece of paper either. Any honest HAM selling equipment will abide by these safeguards and more, if they don't then walk away! Communication and investigation is key when buying or selling on these sites!

My email is wr6g@sbcglobal.net and has been for many years so if you suspect something doesn't seem right on a advertisement with something for sale with my call sign, shoot me an email. I am hoping that by writing this that future heartache can be avoided, at least from involving my call sign. Even though this post will move down the list, it will still be in the search engine on this site and hopefully someone will search my call sign and read this before making an offer to a scammer!

Stay safe and best wishes!

Chris WR6G

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You shouldn't have posted your email address right out here in public :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

3. WR6G

WR6G Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't matter, my email address is not a secret.

4. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

You should post a disclaimer on your QRZ profile page where it will be more likely to be read by any prospective "customers" checking you out. This thread/post will eventually be lost many pages down on the forum and nobody would know to look for it anyway.
    If you have actually observed your profile email being changed then your account is compromised, however this is unlikely especially since you have verified status which includes 2FA for logging in. So even if it did happen previously it probably won't again, although changing your password wouldn't be a bad idea.
    What usually happens is scammers who are not QRZ members and don't have access to anyone's account will send emails from fake addresses that contain someone's call so they look real. The best way to prevent that is to not include any personal contact info when making a wanted post and rather referring any contact to a QRZ private message or email through a profile-listed address.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what a gmail account is.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KC2XU

KC2XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gmail... very simple... a nice group of people who offer free email, capture every word of every email, store them and wring every possible piece of data about you so their advertisers can use that data to target you with all kinds of product based on the words in your email.
    Yea, nice people.
    o_O:mad:

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Gmail = Gullable mail.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They also scan every website known to man (well, almost) including discussion forums like this one.
    They also do excellent filtering of spam email.
    Oh wait...something isn't adding up ?

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Yahoo, etc. etc. etc.

If you're not paying for it, YOU are the product :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K7TRF, NY4Q, WB5THT and 2 others like this.
  10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So that is why i keep getting adverts for bomb making supplies. The aussie cricket team bombed out of the world cup. Ash Bartie bombed out of the tennis. And i bombed out of high school. Emails like this must keep the nsa gerbals busy at night, like i am a member of cr isis.

Funny thing is, my best mate is paranoid about being spied on the phone and tripping the nsa search words, so i call him up going praise alla i got the fertiliser all 2 tons of it for the bomb. Hahaha

WZ7U likes this.