ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

My Radio has never been this alive since i got it :) This is so cool!! :)

Im listening to 80m and never heard it so packed before. This field day stuff is so awesome :) Man i so wish i was General already :( lol

"Uh oh" im starting to get the Bug the urge to study even harder :D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  2. KD5HQN

KD5HQN Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Luck with your studies!!! I am pretty much just waiting for the next test session to upgrade myself. If you have a local club operating a FD station, they might let you operate for a short time and make a few contacts. Even though FD contacts are short and too the point, there is still that feeling of wonderment over sending your voice through the air waves and talking to stations hundreds or thousands of miles away. It is much better than chatting on the internet or even VOIP, as there are no physical connections of any kind between you and the person you are talking to.

Again, Good Luck with your studying!! If you haven't found and are already using one, there is plenty of software out there on the internet to help you study.

3. KB3SKU

I have the Gorden West General Study Book plus i have HamtestOnline.com i can also study using there study mode :) Plus take practice tests :)

4. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

Two thumbs up for hamtestonline.com I used that for my General and Extra. I thought it made a difference.

As for FD, doesn't matter if you are a Tech, look for a local FD site in your area and head out there! I made one contact on the way home from work yesterday. I just happened to be on 146.520 and an aeronautic mobile called so I answered. He was not participating in FD on that freq but I found him a few minutes later on a different frequency. Thought that was a rather unique QSO.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Field day, Sweepstakes and the big DX contests really bring the bands to life.

Sweepstakes are in November, so I hope you have your general by then.

6. N7IC

N7IC Ham Member QRZ Page

Mmmmmm, Sweepstakes.
    Only contest with a real exchange. :D

7. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I promised myself that I will not upgrade until I have accomplished a few goals. I have a lot to learn first. But good luck to you. I'm glad to hear that you were inspired.

8. KB3SKU

I tried a General Practice test for the heck of it and i got 18 right,Ive only study a little but from reading stuff on this forum and reading in other places,always asking questions,i think im learning something. It may not seem like im learning anything to some people with some of my questions i ask but at least im trying.

I also did a technician practice test for the heck of it,and i got 31 right.

I tried a Extra Practice test too,meh about 2 right :( Dang hard the questions are lol.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  9. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

Having goals to achieve is a great way to go about ham radio and upgrading.

I chose a different, less supported path to upgrading. I went start to learning answers in order to get upgrade from Tech to General and then General to Extra. Here is why.

When I was a young teen I was involved in flight training and was required to take FAA testing administered much like the VE test sessions. This seemed to be a stumbling block for many. They even offered 1 day courses, where you learned the answers, not the theories, to passing the test.

So armed with that information that is how I approached my exams for amateur radio. I used the ARRL study guides and a bought a membership to Ham Tests Online. I passed both exams without having to having an understanding of theory. If that were the case, chances are I would still be a Tech or studying for my General.

My point being, don't let anyone discourage you on how you decide to move forward with licensing. Study to pass or study to learn theory and then pass. There is no wrong way. I still feel ham radio is a lifetime license to learn. You will have many years ahead of you to learn theory and all the diversity that makes up our wonderful hobby.

10. KB3SKU

Ok i do admit i memorized the Technician Class answers,BUT in the process i also studied too.

I joined Amateur Radio cause of 3 things its fun and has a WHOLE lot more to offer than CB did for me and 2 i wanted to talk to the International Space Station and the Shuttle,its my dream. Plus i wanted to learn CW now that it isn't forced on ya.

Very true on the other stuff,Ham Radio is a lifetime of learning,that's what i like about :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.