Wow. Just think I got a signal from the ISS

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by G0VKT, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here I am sitting at my home in SE England waiting for Captain Kirk to go up on Blue Origin. I get an alert that the ISS is near overhead.

Dial in 145.800 on my RSP2. Poor discone and poor coax. Heard French speaking voice. No callsigns. Doppler changed as expected and signal peaked/degraded while watching the track. Approx 13:40 UTC for 10 mins.

First ever sat voice Rx.

Feeling very inspired. Not a big achievement for others. But it is for me.

Paul G0VKT

KV6O, K7WDO, AF7XI and 4 others like this.
  2. KG4AKV

KG4AKV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a scheduled school contact:

Ecole Louis Armand, Carquefou, France, Institut Universitaire de Technologie, Carquefou, France, Collège Les Sables D‟Or, Thouare Sur Loire, France; direct via F5KEQ/P

The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be FXØISS

The downlink frequency is presently scheduled to be 145.800 MHz

The latest information on the operation mode can be found at https://www.ariss.org/current-status-of-iss-stations.html

The scheduled astronaut is Thomas Pesquet KG5FYG

Contact is go for: Wed 2021-10-13 13:39:19 UTC 52 deg

Watch for livestream at: (***)

3. F4BJZ

F4BJZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes,
    It was Thomas Pesquet KG5FYG…
    He was in contact with a school in Carquefou ( France ) and a French station F5KEP/P
    I recorded the QSO received with my TS-2000.

Yanik
    F4BJZ

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Beats waiting for a DM65 grid station to show up on my FT8 waterfall :D

Congrats!

W7UUU likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For years I have just put those frequencies in my scanner and when the bird comes over, it is like a Band opening for a few minutes! HT and Mobile too
    Fun

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the Air daily

W7UUU likes this.
  6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It does give you a bit of a kick, doesn't it? I stumbled across the ISS about a year ago while experimenting with a panadaptor on 2m - I wasn't paying any attention to the frequency - just saw a signal peak, clicked on it and heard a rather scratchy voice speaking Italian. I wondered momentarily if there was some kind of super-opening in progress, then came to my senses and checked the frequency...

Going back a while, I have had a couple of QSOs via low orbit satellites (Oscars) using a standard HT with its stock antenna standing on the top floor of a multi-storey car park - absolutely clear sky from horizon to horizon... But it is a bit hit-and-miss!

Martin (G8FXC)

K0UO likes this.
  7. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Even bigger wow! Not the repeater but an astronaut. How cool!

K0UO likes this.
  8. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't have to be hit or miss. If you search for ARISS, you can find out about regular school contacts and get email regarding when direct contacts will be to a ground station in your listening area. You can sometimes hear both sides through a feed from the school, most of the time you can listen in on the astronaut responses to the student questions.

KG4AKV likes this.
  9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed... By "hit and miss", I was referring to operating through the Oscars with an HT on its rubber duck...

Martin (G8FXC)

KA2CZU likes this.
  10. W8TJM

W8TJM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations Paul! I still remember hearing the 10 meter noise floor rise up the first time I received the Oscar 6 downlink decades ago. Always exciting to receive satellite signals.