ad: ProAudio-1

Wow! Hamvention 2017 Attendance: 29,296

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Jun 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W8HJR

W8HJR Ham Member QRZ Page

A Message from Hamvention General Chairman Ron Cramer, KD8ENJ

29,296 Attendees at Dayton Hamvention® 2017

It took a while to collect all the information but the numbers are in and it has been a most successful year. This is quite an increase over last year’s attendance.

We knew this would be a big year but this was even beyond our expectations. The challenge was great to reinvent Hamvention® at a new venue, The Greene County Expo Center and Fairgrounds in a very short time period. From all the emails, letters, and calls I have received over the last few weeks, we have accomplished it successfully. Thanks to all who provided constructive criticism, each idea is being evaluated. Please thank all our 657 volunteers from around the world for their over the top dedication to make Hamvention the success you wanted it to be.

We all recognize the traffic, rain, mud and parking issues, but part of those issues were corrected even before show weekend was over. Other issues are being worked on already for next year’s show. We are working with Greene County, Xenia Township, City of Xenia officials and the Greene County Fairgrounds and Exposition Center Advisory Board. We can’t control the rain but we promise there will not be some of the other issues next year. There may even be some new surprises in store for you. We have three extra months and a successful plan to start with.

We thank all who came to the show this first year in Greene County and hope to see you again next year. For those that thought they would wait and see how we did, sorry you missed the show but look forward to seeing you next year. Our rough edges will be smoothed out for you by then.

Thank You, and Hope to see all next year at our New Home,

Ron Cramer

Hamvention® General Chair

WZ4K, EA1RP, NK9Y and 3 others like this.
  2. KB0KBJ

KB0KBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How's this compare to Dayton's numbers. A graph/chart would be good

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

The count is off by one, they mist me. (easy to do).

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K9ASE likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This IS 'Dayton'. You mean HARA.

Its up at least 5000 from last year and almost 10,000 from the dip a few years back.

Excellent sign!

It clearly shows that the VENUE, not the Ham BASE, was the deciding factor in the decline we saw at HARA.

K9ASE likes this.
  6. KB9ZB

KB9ZB Ham Member QRZ Page

As the old saying goes: location location location. Or in this case Venue, I liked the new venue over the old venue for a number of reasons, better food, more room, better of site parking and it seems like it is less crowded even with a full house. The rain and mud issues is something no-one can predict. I fully anticipated some issues, I knew it was not going to be perfect. It did however surpass my expectations.

I hope more will come and see what you guys have done, and improve upon what you already have. Two thoughts, a little air movement would be nice in the halls, hopefully another building and lastly, some changes in the flea market area.

Ron

KB9ZB

K9ASE likes this.
  7. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Never could bring myself to attend at the old location. The desire was there, just not thrilled about the hassles. The only negative thing I can find from Xenia, is the drainage problem. Air movement could be an easy fix, if you have ever seen the HUGE fans in many dairy barns across the country.

Could be time to look into recycled tires for walkways. (ground up into chips) They are used in equestrian facilities, and have very solid footing. Can be stored in a pile outside, off season, if you choose to do so. The product laying equipment is available through construction rental facilities. Whatever the "powers that be" decide, I'll be there next year!

8. W3GJD

W3GJD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I SHALL RETURN

9. W8ENO

W8ENO Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a great time! Can't wait until next year!

10. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From http://hamgallery.com/gallery/D/hamvention.htm:

1998: 28,120
    1999: 28,127
    2000: 28,804
    2001: 26,151
    2002: 24,832
    2003: 22,168
    2004: 19,869
    2005: 20,411
    2006: 20,324
    2007: 19,318
    2008: 17,253
    2009: 18,877
    2010: 19,750
    2011: 22,312
    2012: 24,483
    2013: 24,542
    2014: 24,873
    2015: 25,621
    2016: 25,364
    2017: 29,296

Looks like Xenia was the largest Hamvention since they shifted from April to May (in the mid 90's April attendance figures were running low-mid 30's).

K9ASE likes this.
  11. KD0JMH

KD0JMH Ham Member QRZ Page

As a special interest group, the margin for non-hams attending was likely very low on any given year and one would expect the percentage to remain fairly consistent over the years. If so out of licenses issued, the percentage increase.

1998 673,973 4.17% attended

2007 652,984 2.95% attended

2008 658,648 2.61% attended

2016 739,238 3.43% attended

2017 743,412 3.94% attended

Trade show attendance has been on the decline and 2008 was a low point in general. Getting a .5% increase during a period of decline speaks loudly to the efforts of the folks putting on the hamvention, well done!

K9ASE likes this.
  12. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

How are attendance figures calculated? Is this simply the number through the gates, added together for each day? I think that is normal for such events. What that means, in the case that lets say 70% of the attendees came to all three days, is that actual "number of visitors" is less than the 29K given.
    Alternatively if the figures are based on ticket sales and everyone who bought a ticket attended, (and those who attended the full 3 days bought a 3 day ticket, not 3 x 1 day tickets), the numbers would be more accurate.

Just interested to know...

Well done to DARA on a successful Hamfest!

73 Ed.

13. K2ZAD

K2ZAD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This was my first Hamvention, so I've nothing to compare it against, but I had a great time! The venue was excellent, but I'm certainly glad I have a 4-wheel drive. No one can control mother nature. DARA must be congratulated on the incredible work that they put into to this event. I also loved the fact that it seemed that a lot of the Xenia community seemed involved and into it. I will be back for the next one (God and wife willing).

73 Mike (K2ZAD)

14. W8BFT

W8BFT Ham Member QRZ Page

They shifted from April to May to try to lessen the chance of rain. What the actually accomplished was to move the April showers into May. Really screwed up the climate around here.

N2EY and N1EN like this.
  15. W8BFT

W8BFT Ham Member QRZ Page

My understanding is they count the number of tickets sold. Since they send batches of tickets to other vendors, they don't know how many are actually sold until sometime after. Like now. Entries through the gate are not counted. Some time ago, a hamfest in Japan made the claim they had passed Hamvention, but on further investigation we learned they were counting multiple entries/days as unique attendees.