WOUXUN KG-UVD1P

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K7XRT, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AB8ZL

AB8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the site at http://n9ewo.angelfire.com/kguvd1p.html there are 8 different versions. Judging from what I’ve seen on ebay, this would seem to be the case. All have the same lower range of frequencies but there are 3 different 220 ranges and 5 different ranges between 350 to 520 Mhz.

It looks like differences in the RF deck of the second range of frequencies as the all have roughly the same bandwidth, just different upper and lower frequencies. I doubt that there is any firmware unlock that will give you all the range.

2. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not so much as Firmware, but rather EEPROM programming. I forget the maximum on each band.. but ... yes.. you can adjust what is programmed, within certain limits...

The unlock software will teel the radio whatever you tell it.. BUT it won't work there if it is outside of design limits. People have programmed theor 2m/440 radios to go to 220 freqs... of course, they don't work :) The frequency disply shows the frequency, but the transmitter says "no way dude"

Be careful... there have been instances of where radios are permanently "frozen" or locked, rendering them useless, due to overaggressive efforts to program them where they cannot go.

3. KE7EXS

KE7EXS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking about placing my order from wouxun.us. So here is what I am trying to decide. The 200Mhz band doesn't seem too popular where I am at. So I have narrowed it down to these two radios: VHF + 350-470 OR VHF + 420-520.

I understand that I am only able to broadcast in the Ham bands that I have a license for....but the ability to scan other ranges could be useful in the future. Is the area below the ham bands or the area above most active when it comes to LMR (for scanning) or other uses(scanning only)?

Or...does it not really matter as it was mentioned that its simply an eeprom change that makes these radios different (ie...later on I could add the lower or upper range if I ever wanted to)?

4. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah you can change the range... a good place to go to is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wouxun_KG-UVD1/

the yahoo group where pretty much all problems are solved :)

5. K7DB

K7DB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've dropped my KG-UVD1P on the concrete multiple times, with the result of just minor scratches and no effect on operations.

Scratches on the plastic protecting the display can be annoying, but they rubbed off easily with a polish intended for that purpose purchased at an auto supply store. (I used "PlastX" brand polish, manufactured by Meguiar's.)

Bottom line: maybe an FT-60 will break if you drop it on the concrete -- I wouldn't know. But the Wouxun seems to handle it just fine.

6. K7DB

K7DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouxun KG-UVD1P models

I understand that there are actual RF module differences in the different models.

Below the 420 mHz ham band are U.S. Government users. In some areas the frequencies above 470 mHz are available for Part 90 use. If your primary interest is in scanning local activity, just check what's in use in your area using a site like radioreference.com and then choose the version which is most relevant for monitoring stations in your area.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I imagine you can order the radio 'opened up' if you want, but unless you specify otherwise, the radios Ed at wouxun.us sells to U.S. hams are set to transmit only in the ham bands. I haven't tried programming in anything below the the 420 MHz ham band, but I have some of the FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies programmed in 'receive only'.

8. K3ME

K3ME Ham Member QRZ Page

KB3SQH

Ed Griffin W4KMA New London NC Wouxun authorized US dealer
    www.wouxun.us Wouxun HT sales
    www.kmaantennas.com Antenna sales and service
    Offered excellent customer service and support even while I was in Europe.:D

9. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like others I bought mine from radioshop888 in Hong Kong along with every extra acc made primely because they were the least expensive. I received everything exactly 9 days after I placed the order (on a Friday) and shipping was free. Just a "for what it's worth" comment.

10. KD8OEK

KD8OEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice article this month in QST magazine about the Wouxun line of radios....I am likeing my KG-UVD1P and Arrow yagi antenna for the sats and am awaiting the release of there new mobile.
    73's
    glenn KD8OEK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.