ad: vanity

WOUXUN KG-UVD1P

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K7XRT, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD8OEK

KD8OEK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am back after another short hospital stay and will be getting back into the swing of things here shortly.....question, some of U have mentioned confirming qso's with an electronic qsl instead of a written qsl card.....more info please and what sight might that be ?
    Thanks;
    glenn kd8oek

2. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a website http://eqsl.cc/ that lets you register and then QSL electronically. Ater you verify your call (the AG) you know the ham you made the contact with is legit.

The ARRLM has its "logbook of the world"....

AND QRZ here has its own logbook where you can confirm contacts with other QRZ members.

3. KD8OEK

KD8OEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply John......be talking to U soon on 7.240.....
    glenn kd8oek

4. N5VEG

N5VEG Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got my Wouxun this evening! I have not had time to fully read the manual but initial inspection is pretty much what I imagined. This is a quality built HT with a lot of features that actually work! It came with a fully charged battery, headset, desk charger and car charger! All seem to be as decent a quality as the radio. The supplied rubber duck is more than adequate for local repeaters. Signal reports thus far are very good with clean natural sounding audio. I particularly like the separate trans./rec. led's and the built in flashlight that is plenty bright! I listened to several loacal FM broadcast stations which sounded as good as any small home receiver. The belt clip appears heavy duty and has provision for a lanyard which is included.

Overall, my first impression is I now own a very decent dual band+ HT that has a great battery life and seems to work better than my former FT60R.

And that's no brags, just facts! Mien Thien!

5. KB3VBF

KB3VBF Ham Member QRZ Page

I had some initial reservations about its durability, given that the clip base and its retaining latch are molded from a somewhat flexy plastic, whereas they would be an alloy casting on, say, a Motorola. And as it happens, there was some plastic sprue on the radio body that prevented the latch from engaging. A bit of cleanup with an X-acto knife, and all's well.

6. N5VEG

N5VEG Ham Member QRZ Page

C'mon, wadaya want! It's a hundred dollar radio!;)

Look, this thing runs longer, talks better and is lighter and smaller than most of the big name dual band HT's. (and guess what, ther're made in China too!) If you throw an FT 60 and the Wouxun down on the concrete, they're both gonna break.:p

The flexable plastic is to let it "flex" so it won't be brittle and break off! DUH!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. KE7EXS

KE7EXS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been thinking about picking one of these up....I am specifically looking at the 2m/70cm version....However, I see there are multiple versions (RX & TX UHF freq's) of this radio being offered(ie 350-470, or 420-520...etc).

Which seems to be the most popular and why?

Thanks for the help.

Dave

8. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

They make them for different nations. The made for usa version only includes the amateur bands.

However...

there is software to "unlock" the radio... OR "lock" it, as I have done.

Any version you buy will be fine... they just tailor them for different nations, and their capabilities. These radios are very much computer programmable, so the programming cable is a must.... they typically ship with outdated programming software.. but that is easily found at thw wouxun website.

There is no "most popular" version.. just who you buy it from at the best deal.

Ed at wouxun.us can get it to you in 3 days and is a great guy... from China it will take 2 weeks.. Ed has only slightly higher costs.. relatively speaking.. but he stands by the radios... and again is super.

9. KE7EXS

KE7EXS Ham Member QRZ Page

John, thanks for the quick reply....so if I understand this correctly all the various "versions" are just the same radio with firmware locks to only allow specific frequencies?

Is this true for the 220 version as well?

If so then this would mean that the radio is capable of 135ish to 500ish but locked down to only the ham frequencies (at least the ones that Ed at wouxun.us is selling)?

10. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

If they have a 2/440 version versus a 2/220/440 HT for the same price, I would go with the tri-band model. 220 is not a "really popular" band, but it comes in handy at the hamfests for example because most Hams do not have 220 HTs. It gives you several frequencies to choose from because it is not crowded.

Just my two cents....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.