WOUXUN KG-UVD1P

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K7XRT, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC2KOA

KC2KOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Craig, a little OT here, but how do you like that Kenwood mobile you've got? I've had my eye on that and the Yaesu FTM-350R for a while now.

2. K1WJ

K1WJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just recently bought the 2m/220 P version - manual programing with the manual was not too bad. Ed from wouxun.us is where I got mine. Ed is easy to deal with. Only issue so far is in FM radio mode, speaker will pop & crackle on most FM stations. Strange. Others have noted same issue . Wouxun needs to fix this.:( Rate it OK overall. 73 K1WJ

3. N1WAW

N1WAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one of the p versions of this radio which I purchased from Ed. His customer service is great and the radio has performed well. I use this as my main portable now with my FT 270 in the emergency bag. I am a control op one of the local repeaters and this radio works just fine. If you want to listen to FM radio, by a radio. I rate this a 5 out of 5. For $107.00 what more could you want?

PS. Ed's awesome customer service is worth paying the extra money for.

4. KE5YXD

KE5YXD Ham Member QRZ Page

I just took the plunge and ordered one from Ed. We'll see how it turns out...

5. AE7HF

AE7HF Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, that's what I always thought. The holder of the ham radio license is the certification. So is what you guys are saying, I must as an amateur run down with my credit card and buy a part 97 certified radio? Part 97 radio imported only means you can't take that radio and re-class it in part 90 LMR. "businesses buying cheaper radios for business, etc) Now, any radio can be "re-classed" to part 97 by a ham. Once it has entered into the hamband, it can NOT be used again for part 90 service. (try telling the motorola guys this). Your ham license qualifies you to use any transmitter from another service in the amateur band. That transmitter can't go back though. That's what I've always been led to believe. Why on earth this radio comes fully opened up and frequency agile from the keypad and is part 90 approved is beyond me. It is more amateur than anything. Am I right or wrong? Maybe someone should break out the FCC rule book for part 97.

6. AE7HF

AE7HF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said, (the bs from cheap hams) not worth $7 profit you make with all the leg work. understand your complaints. :) I'm guilty of sending a reply on facebook to a seller of these at $127 each. :( Your right.

7. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouxun radio

I've talked to several people here in the greater Cleveland Ohio area who have them. I think that the audio rivals most of the "ham" radios around here. Personally, I think that they sound a lot better than any of my Motobutte radios that I have here. Now mind you, I like my Motos, but they will be going away as certified commercial radios in 2011 because of the FCC's re-banding of the 150 to 174 MHz and 450 to 512 MHz narrow-banding requirements.
    If you're wondering why I have commercial radios on commercial frequencies; I am a member of a railroad society here in Cleveland which has a license to use a couple of frequencies in the AAR band. But, I can only use them when I am on sight or during an event put on by the group. Never off-sight.
    The good thing is that there will be a lot of commercial radios that could be possibly sold rather inexpensively to the amateur radio market after 2011.
    Been using GE and Motorola stuff for years and I have no problem with tossing them onto a slow computer and reprogramming them when I need to make changes. But then again, I'm a computer geek so maybe that's why I don't mind doing that.
    Oh. BTW, I plan to get one of the 2Mtr/220MHz radios and one 440MHz only radio from them, when I get the extra cash to do it.

BTW, my other car is an Alco RD3A Diesel electric. Just thought that you might like to know.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  8. N5VEG

N5VEG Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in the process of trading my Yaesu FT-60R for the Wouxun dual bander.

My Yaesu is OK but it's lacking in many areas compared to the Wouxun.

I already have the Puxing mono band unit and it out performs my Yaesu in many areas. I would presume the Wouxun will be as good or better.

I think the battery life on these inexpensive units is phenomenal! I can leave my Puxing on all day and still transmit. Can't do that with the Yaesu! The Yaesu draws power even when it's turned off! The Yaesu makes you buy an expensive drop in charger, the Puxing and Wouxun come with one! And finally I have noticed the great audio from these radios and their ability to hit distant repeaters without an after market antenna.

These big three companies need to either bring down their prices, give more accessories and better performance or they are going to be going down a hard road in the future.

9. KE5YXD

KE5YXD Ham Member QRZ Page

So far, I'm liking my Wouxun. I bought the radio, AA battery box, programming cable, and BNC antenna adapter. The programming cable is a lifesaver because the radio is near impossible to program by the keyboard only. I had to open the radio up by 1Mhz to cover the entire 2 meter band because it stopped at 147 Mhz. I got all the local repeaters programmed in. At home I'm just out of range of the repeaters with the stock antenna, but I plan to get a higher gain aftermarket bnc antenna for it. I'm also having a lot of interference issues on some frequencies. So far, it's worth the money.

10. KD8OEK

KD8OEK Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased one of these antennas as well along with an M to M adaptor and installed it last night and tried to hit a repeater close to 40 miles to the north and about fell out of my dining room (wheel) chair when I received a reply to my call for a radio check.....AMAZING The original would not even trip the repeater let alone transmit any voice
    73's
    glenn kd8oek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.