ad: hrd-2

WOUXUN KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF Handheld

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB1JFQ, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. LELE

LELE QRZ Member

Hi all,
    I had a look to the schematic of KG-UVD1P and it looks easy to increase TX power.
    It is controlled by measuring the current consumption of the power amp and drive amp.
    The current is measured using a shunt made with the parallel of 4 resistor ( R615, R616, R659 and R660 )
    of 0,39ohm (i.e.about 0.1ohm). One could deceive this measure by changing the resistor value
    ( for example put another resistor in parallel with them ).
    The power amp uses a 2SK3476 fet and according to spec. could stand up to 20W
    ( of course one should check the temperature and maybe put an heatsink ).
    Also should monitor the temperature of the pre drive stage ( uses a 2SK3475 3W max ) which is power controlled too.

2. LELE

LELE QRZ Member

TX power mod

Hi all,
    I had a look to the schematic of KG-UVD1P and it looks easy to increase TX power.
    It is controlled by measuring the current consumption of the power amp and drive amp.
    The current is measured using a shunt made with the parallel of 4 resistor ( R615, R616, R659 and R660 )
    of 0,39ohm (i.e.about 0.1ohm). One could deceive this measure by changing the resistor value
    ( for example put another resistor in parallel with them ).
    The power amp uses a 2SK3476 fet and according to spec. could stand up to 20W
    ( of course one should check the temperature and maybe put an heatsink ).
    Also should monitor the temperature of the pre drive stage ( uses a 2SK3475 3W max ) which is power controlled too.

3. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

WHY would you want to increase power on an HT? This is pointless. You will overdrive the compontnts. Obviously, you've noticed this since you are suggesting a heat sink. That alone should indicate "bad move"

ALL the so-called "mods" will potentially destroy your rig.

Be a good operator, not a "good buddy"

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  4. LELE

LELE QRZ Member

I "sniffed" the serial port protocol and I was able to write a program for dumping and writing the whole eeprom.
    now I'm going to understand where information are stored. For example:
    - at address 0x0e00 there is the welcome message "UVD1 WELCOM" and sthe string "UVD1" that appears when you use a single band.
    I modified it and now I have my customized message at turn on.

-starting from address 0x0842 there are 9 words storing the FM broadcast memories of TEAM1 ( 0x0000=76MHz; 0x0001=76.1MHz; 0x0002=76.2MHz...)

-starting from address 0x0852 there are 9 words storing the FM broadcast memories of TEAM2

-at address 0x0970 there are 8 word storing the absolute minimum and maximum frequencies for vhf and uhf ( both rx and tx )

-in the ranges 0x910 to 0x950 and 0x1910 to 0x1950
    there must be calibration info because two different radios, just resetted thus with same settings, have different values.
    so beware, don't modify them. It would be interesting to know which value calibrates the tx output power

5. LELE

LELE QRZ Member

I "sniffed" the serial port protocol and I was able to write a program for dumping and writing the whole eeprom.
    now I'm going to understand where information are stored. For example:
    - at address 0x0e00 there is the welcome message "UVD1 WELCOM" and sthe string "UVD1" that appears when you use a single band.
    I modified it and now I have my customized message at turn on.

-starting from address 0x0842 there are 9 words storing the FM broadcast memories of TEAM1 ( 0x0000=76MHz; 0x0001=76.1MHz; 0x0002=76.2MHz...)
    -starting from address 0x0852 there are 9 words storing the FM broadcast memories of TEAM2. It could be usefull to backup them because the official software doesn't allow it.

-at address 0x0970 there are 8 word storing the absolute minimum and maximum frequencies for vhf and uhf ( both rx and tx )

-in the ranges 0x910 to 0x950 and 0x1910 to 0x1950
    there must be calibration info because two different radios, just resetted thus with same settings, have different values.
    so beware, don't modify them. It would be interesting to know which value calibrates the tx output power

6. KJ6EUO

KJ6EUO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like very cool work you are doing. It would be cool to rework the programing software to be able to do things with the radio beyond what it was designed to do. Thanks for keeping us posted.
    FYI For some reason you are getting double posts in this thread.

7. KK4ATB

KK4ATB Ham Member QRZ Page

www.wouxun.us sells, services & supports the KG-UV2D, which includes some firmware mods. to the KG-UV1P sold by various Hong Kong dealers, eBay, etc. Ed Griffin does an outstanding job of providing support (pre- and post-sale).

8. ES4TIX

ES4TIX Ham Member QRZ Page

One nice Wouxun mod:
    [video=youtube;-8hbeXlliHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hbeXlliHc[/video]
    / de ES4TIX / 73!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.