WOUXUN KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF Handheld

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB1JFQ, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB1JFQ

KB1JFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

:) Hello all, has any one bought one of these yet? are they worth it? Can it do ODD splits? Any information would helpful, I was going to purchase a Yaesu VX-8R but not sure it I really need all those bells and whistles right now. 73's

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the WOUXUM web page for this specific model.
    http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UVD1P.htm

They show radio programming software
    http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/accessories_optional_KG-639-689.htm

Founded in 2000, Wouxun.com is a manufacturer of two-way radios (transceivers) in China.
    http://www.wouxun.com/
    Wouxun produces, sells, and services 'WOUXUN' brand two-way radio products in China.
    ===
    Charles -

It is your money and your risk (Keep around OR throw away like cell phone).
    I see no North American service center.
    http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/Service_Guide.htm

Veterans of the hobby can give you a laundry list of VHF/UHF radio mfg. (Far East and USA) that have came and went (ADI/Pryme; KDK; Clegg; Standard; etc.) through the years.
    You should NOT expect --- Parts, service and significant documentation in USA.

w9gb

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  3. KC9LGV

KC9LGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I own one of these radios. For what they are they are pretty good radios. I would first say that they are probably not your best choice of radio if you can afford something from the big three. A Yaesu FT-60 is a great dual band handheld if you can live without the dual receive, for not a lot more than the KG-UVD1.

However if you do decide to go with the Wouxun, it will do odd splits and most things that a dual band, dual receive radio can do with the exception of crossband repeat and DTMF tones. I would highly recommend getting a programming cable with it when you buy it, as the programming software is free and this radio is tedius at best to program from the keypad. Mine has excellent RX audio and doesnt seem to be bothered by overload problems from a nearby paging system. The TX reports that I have gotten have always been good, and nobody that I have talked to could tell that I was on a china radio until I told them.

I will say that you get what you pay for applies here quite well. The extra money spent on a more well known brand is not for the features as much as the quality control and the support if something does happen.

Good luck and 73's

4. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have one too, very cheap, all accessories cheap as well, good quality build, good audio, cheap spare batteries, mike's etc

The speaker mike from the Kenwood TH F7 works on the Wouxun.
    Easy to program through the computer.
    Measured it and it's lots more sensitive as the Kenwood TH - F7E, Icom Q7, FT 60 and a bunch other handhelds from the big 3.

EC approved, fulfills the demands as put in the EC regulations about suppression of harmonics etc.
    Measured 1.45 watt and 4.9 watt out L/H 2 m
    1.4 and 4.8 on 70.
    This with the standard 1.3 A Li Ion battery, the 1.7 A was cheap and lasts very long, as does the original 1.3 A battery.

For the price of one of the big 3 i can get 3 Wouxun KG-UVD1.

Whatever rocks your boat.

;)

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

One question would be "are they FCC Certified?" The receiver portion has to be FCC certified for legal sale/import into the U.S.; that assures the receiver portion does not cause interference to other devices.

6. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed, in the EC they are fully certified.
    -60 dB down for spurious emissions as measured. ( transmitter)

For the USA market there you need certification using the USA rules.
    They do comply with the US federal communications commission code of federal regulations 47CFR part 2 subpart J
    ANSI ( IEEE) C95 1-1992
    IEEE C95 1-1999 Edition
    ICNIRP 1998
    FCC part 90 rules compliant.
    EC rules and regulations for harmfull emissions etc.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If the radios have an FCC certification tag, then it's "Caveat emptor," as to quality, price, reliability, and service availability.

8. KB1JFQ

KB1JFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks every one for your input, I have been a Yaesu owner for many many years, my first yaesu was the FT-411E Ht back in 1993-4 somewares in there, I wasnt a licesncensed ham then but was in civil air patrol and was a liceced radio operator with them, I still have it today. others I own are the ft-7800r and the vx-150 and aso had a ft-1500m, I love Yaesu! some day I will just go out and get vx-8r, but I realy just want to hit some birds and the ISS. thanks again for you comments.. Chuck 73's

9. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one, not a bad radio. I got it for 85$ shipped to my door. I dropped it off of a building and it still works.:D It sure is ugly now. Anyway, they work good but programing them is a PITA.

You can get two of them from ebay with the programing cable and software for 200$ shipped to your door if you watch for a deal. That is hard to beat if you have kids that are in the hobby.

My uncle has mine at the moment because he does not have an HT. He is happy even if it does look like I ran it over.:D

Edit: I see that there is a P model now. I don't know what the difference is but there is a price increase if you get that model.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  10. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do know that the FT-7800 will let you program in crossband splits, which is a very nice feature for working the satellites. That might be the radio of choice for that purpose. Save up the money so you can get the VX-8R and do APRS through the ISS digi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.