Wouxun KG-UVD1P HT Programming Tutorial by KJ6HYC

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KJ6HYC, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ6HYC

KJ6HYC Ham Member QRZ Page

Manual programming of the Wouxun Handy Talkies (HT's) can be confusing. This is a simplified procedure to manually program the HT.

Overview;
    To program the Wouxun HT you must understand that you must program the numerical information (the Channel - Frequency - Freq. Offset & direction - tones) in the Menu 21 "Frequency" mode and then save it, you then change the mode of menu 21 to "name" mode and then enter the (Repeater's Name) and save it.
    Notes: when you are programming the HT in menu modes you have approximately a 4 second time window to make a change, if change is not made in that time window, the HT times out and you will have to re-do the entry, usually by pushing the red "menu" button twice takes you back to where you timed out. You may also use the Frequency knob nearest to the antenna, in place of the arrow up/down to change the parameters once in the programming mode.
    Procedure;
    First thing is to have the programming data avaiable. I would suggest make a programming sheet that has the following programming data.
    1. Frequency in 6 digits (XXX.XXX)
    2. PL / CTCSS Tone frequencies (if used)
    3. Repeater frequency offset and direction (if used).
    4. Name of the programmed frequency in 6 characters or less (repeater name etc.)
    5. Assignment of the the Wouxun memory position number for the display.
    Power on the HT and press the green "TDR" button. Press the red "Menu" button and then the 1 (menu 1), then the red "Menu" button again, using the arrow up/down until “STEP" "5.00" is indicated on display, then press red "menu" button to save it.

Menu 21 (frequency mode) Press the red "Menu" button and then the 2 and 1 (menu 21), then the red "Menu" button, press the arrow up/down until "FREQ" is indicated on display, then press red "menu" button to save it and then the "Exit" button (you should have a upper display with a frequency number on it (XXX.XXX). Using the HT's key pad input the desired "repeaters" frequency using all six digits (XXX.XXX) and verify on the display.

Menu 16 (PL Tone mode) Press the red "Menu" button and then the 1 and 6 (menu 16), then the red "Menu" button, using the arrow up or down buttons until "the desired tone freq" is indicated on display, then press red "menu" button to save it.
    If you are using CTSS, tone encoded squelch, repeat the tone mode above, using menu 15 in place of menu 16.

Menu 24 (Frequency offset DIRECTION) Press the red "Menu" button and then the 2 and 4 (menu 24), then the red "Menu" button, using the HTs key pad to enter the repeaters frequency offset direction "SHF-D"(+ / - / off), then press red "menu" button to save. The display should now display the offset direction.

Menu 23 (Frequency offset) Press the red "Menu" button and then the 2 and 3 (menu 23), then the red "Menu" button, using the key pad enter the repeaters frequency offset, then press red "menu" button. The display should now display the offset frequency (XX.XXX).

Menu 27 (Saving (MEM-CH)) This saves your entered data, Press the red "Menu" button and then the 2 and 7 (menu 27), press the red "menu" button, then using the UP/Down arrow buttons select the memory number you would like to save the data in, and once selected push the red "menu" button to save. NOTE: If the numbered memory location is used the "CH-"XX is displayed and if you push the red "menu" button you will over write that channel. If there is only the memory number displayed (NOT the "CH-"), that memory location is unused and available for storage.

Menu 21 (NAME mode) Press the red "Menu" button and then the 2 and 1 (menu 21), then the red "Menu" button, press the arrow up or down until "NAME" is indicated on display, then press red "menu" button. After 5 seconds, the display should now display a six digit name (CH-XXX).

Menu 26 (Channel Name) Press the red "Menu" button and then the 2 and 6 (menu 26), then the red "Menu" button, for this function you use the channel/frequency KNOB, nearest the HTs antenna. When the knob is rotated clockwise (CW) the digits advance (A-Z and 0-9) and then repeat, then you rotate the knob counter clockwise (CCW) the "space" advances. If you over advance, it will wrap around. Once you have the name spelled out, you must quickly save it (4 second time out) or you will loose it.
    The above is for repeater setup, for simplex operation the menu 24, 16 & 15 ="OFF", Menu 23 = "00.000".

73's
    Wayne - KJ6HYC

2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like most advanced 2 meter handhelds the software is the way to go. Simple, fast and easy to change or switch channels around. I programmed 15 repeaters and 3 different satellites including doppler shift into mine in less time then it took to read the post.

3. KJ6HYC

KJ6HYC Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, Wouxun has free programming software that works great, plus the USB programming cable is $15.00USD. However sometimes you are without your computer, or perhaps a present that didn't include the gift of the cable.

4. WA8UEG

Oh, I agree. I printed your post and put it in the glove box. I usually operate it mobile. Thanks.

5. K4DJQ

K4DJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouxan programming

Anybody got any hints working with the programming cable...I tried mine the other day no dice and yes I have the drivers downloaded I get the screen and all but when I go to save it on HT it doesnt do anything.....What am I missing here....K4DJQ John

6. KG6BRG

KG6BRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you can be more specific. Do you mean when you "write to radio" you get a "failed connection" message? Or no message on the monitor at all? If you don't get any message make sure you have the correct USB driver for your OS and check that the cable is firmly inserted in the radio. Make sure the radio is powered up too. More specific info might help diagnose the problem. cheers.

7. KJ4QCV

KJ4QCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Dumb question regarding programming. I was looking at getting one at a hamfest coming up in January. From what I can tell Wouxon ships them from the factory in one of the following configurations:

136-174&350-470 MHz (RX/TX)
    136-174&400-480 MHz (RX/TX)
    136-174&420-520 MHz (RX/TX)
    136-174&400-470 MHz (RX/TX)
    136-174&245-250 MHz (RX/TX)
    136-174&216-280 MHz (RX/TX)
    136-174&225-226 MHz (RX/TX)
    144-146&430-440 MHz (RX/TX)

Everybody seems to stock the 136-174 400-480

I want the 136-174 420-520

Can this be changed by software or do I need to order from China and worry

8. WA8UEG

I got mine from radioshop888 and had no problems, free shipping and only took 8 days from the day I ordered it including the weekend. I think it's still on sale on their web sight for $105.00.

9. WU1W

WU1W Ham Member QRZ Page

Program direction

How did you program the offset direction in the software??

10. WA6YAT

WA6YAT Ham Member QRZ Page

how would you program a odd split
    i would like to program freq 147.435 with a negative
    split of 1.035
    thanks kent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.