Wouxun KG-UV920P vs TYT TH-9800

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KP4RO, Aug 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4RO

KP4RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I plan to buy an inexpensive radio for my car and I looking for a Wouxun KG-UV920P or TYT TH-9800, I want to know if any one have a bad experience with one of this two mobiles. Personally I like more the design of the Wouxun because are only dual band and my mobile antenna are VHF/UHF only, the TYT are quad band so I don't had the opportunity to use 10M and 5M bands on it. Because sometimes a radio design not necessarily means that the radio work best I try to search witch one are less problematic. Wouxun kg-uv950p.jpg TYT TH-9800.jpg

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you played with either one?

3. KP4RO

No, I never work with none of them. Actialy I have a Wouxun HT that are the one I use in my car with a Mirage DB-35 dual band.

4. KC9ZHR

KC9ZHR Ham Member QRZ Page

well for whatever its worth look at http://wouxun.us/ and they quit selling them for alot of reasons you can see there (I dont have any experience with wouxun radios myself).

However I do have the lution LT-580 which is a re-labeled TYT TH9000D and I am VERY happy with it...so I would lean TYT myself

5. KP4RO

The only problem are that the TYT TH-9000D came VHF or UHF single band and I'm looking for a mobile dual band

6. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the TYT TH9800 and I L O V E IT!

It does everything plus xband repeater. Sounds wonderful and has an extremely sensitive receiver on it. I can pull out clear signals on the same antenna. I switch over the my FT-857D and it doesnt even register a signal at all with the squelch off. Awesome little chinese rig for the money. Only thing I hate about it... the microphone has no remote radio body jack and it has to plug into the control head. I hate this about Chinese radios.

Mine is fully unlocked too so if I wanted, which I dont, I could transmit on MURS (VHF) and FRS/GMRS (UHF).

The included software is absolutely atrocious. I would rather watch a 24 hour repeating marathon of idiocracy the movie than use this software. Go and get chirp and never look back!

It does recieve 10/11 meter signals in AM/FM but can only transmit on 10m in FM. Do not get this thinking you can sneak some illegitimate chicken band transmitting on it. I have and use a separate legal CB Uniden Pro 520 for my 11 meter trucker needs, and I dont need it.

WD8RLJ likes this.
  7. KP4RO

In the TYT TH-9800 you can block to tranmit on specific band or group of frequencies?

8. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't key up on stuff your not allowed. its pretty wide open.

9. WD8RLJ

WD8RLJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the radio come with programming cable to use CHIRP? I have several radios made in China and their output power does not reflect accordingly on my Watt meter; so, one or the other must be off. Sounds like a good deal. Does it really go v-v, v-u cross band or v-u? WOW!

10. N1FMV

N1FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

My Kenwood TMv71a died and I bought the successor to the radio mentioned above it is called the Wouxon KGUV980P. I am impressed how sensitive the receiver is; much more so than the Kenwood I had. The weak point is that lousy programming software. I bought the software from RT Systems and that works fine.