Wouxun KG-UV8D for SO-50? Sure, but not full-duplex by itself...

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by WD9EWK, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... It will be interesting to see this version of the KG-UV8D in the stores. It probably won't do full-duplex ...

Why do you assume that?

Geeze - this thread contains almost 100 messages ... and I am the only one who has actually called Powerwerx to see
    what will be happening with this model to provide accurate information as to features and marketing of the rig?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Generally, to be an assumption, means that you suppose something to be the case without proof.

Patrick is a big boy and can speak for himself. I would assume the new version won't do full-duplex V/U based on the past track record of the prior, tested handhelds. That is, unless the manufacturer specifically set out to address the issue for a small percentage of it's potential clientele.

Frankly I think it's slightly easier to juggle two handhelds versus one full-duplex handheld. That's just me. No switching VFO's, dealing with special memories, etc.

3. K6LCS

>> ... it's slightly easier to juggle two handhelds ...

It sure is "easier" for audio routing - especially for demos. AND you get another audience member involved with that second setup ... (grin)

4. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to go take an acid bath. Clint and I agree on something again. :D

Who said I'm always a contrarian? I'll prove them wrong.

5. K6LCS

>> ... Clint and I agree on something ...

'Bout an hour ago - I felt it! The skies parted ... the marine layer broke ... the sun shone gloriously overhead ... there was peace on the planet ...

Well, at least for a couple minutes ... (grin)

6. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I know why the sunspot number has dropped to 11... so bright and shiny, no place for dark spots.

Fortune cookie I got today: How many of you believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand. :p

7. K6LCS

>> ... How many of you believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand.

That is funny.

A line I use in presentations goes like this:

"How many of you are already AMSAT members?"

A few hands go up.

"How many might consider supporting AMSAT?"

A few more ...

"And how many of you simply refuse to raise your hands at public meetings?"

And a few chuckle. Welcome to Clint's world.

8. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

As W5PFG mentioned, I am not confident that Wouxun redesigned the radio to allow it to work full-duplex with weak signals like those from SO-50. This is just like the Alinco DJ-G7T, even after its updated firmware (it is capable of being updated by its owners). Firmware alone hasn't fixed this issue in the first two firmware versions of the KG-UV8D, although I have not seen or heard reports of anyone trying to work SO-50 with a KG-UV8D using V1.03 firmware.

Next time you talk with Powerwerx, please ask them why they are promoting the KG-UV8D that provides for non-ham coverage, when the new version of the KG-UV8D's FCC certification grant for FCC ID WVTWOUXUN10 shows no coverage outside of the two ham bands for its Part 15 certification. Or will their radios use the WVTWOUXUN07 FCC ID number, but be configured to only transmit within the ham bands and still have the extended receive outside the two ham bands?

This goes back to a comment I made some time ago, about what radio Powerwerx will sell. If the radio Powerwerx sells has the new FCC ID number but still has non-ham coverage - even receive only (based on the receive frequency range listed on Powerwerx's web page) - this would put Wouxun, and potentially anyone marketing this radio, in violation of the new FCC certification grant. Any coverage outside of ham bands between 30 and 960 MHz requires a minimum of Part 15 certification for receivers. If it has Part 90 certification, this would take care of the need for Part 15 certification. This is why I am saying I want to see the radio in the stores for myself.

If, somehow, Wouxun improved the circuitry so the KG-UV8D can be used to work SO-50 full-duplex, great! As I said in previous posts, it would be nice if the radio could do full-duplex work for satellites. I think there is more than enough room to have the TH-D72A and KG-UV8D be HTs in current production that could both do full-duplex operation on the FM satellites like SO-50. Full-duplex operation will be so much more important for satellites like Fox-1 with 70cm uplinks, and is very good to have for V/U satellites like SO-50. If you want to "provide accurate information as to features and marketing of the rig", feel free to follow up with Powerwerx and see if they will correct the apparent conflict between the new FCC certification and their marketing, and add to the discussion here.

By the way, maybe your contacts at the FCC's OET can explain the potential issues of importing and marketing a radio that operates outside the range(s) of its FCC certification. Or explain that to Powerwerx, if the differences between the Powerwerx marketing and the frequency ranges covered by the new FCC certification remain. I'm not looking to pick on Powerwerx, as they sell lots of useful accessories and some radios for the ham marketplace, but there is an issue with how they are currently marketing the radio on their web site.

9. K6LCS

>> ... Wouxun improved the circuitry so the KG-UV8D can be used to work SO-50 full-duplex, great!

That I am not waiting for - crossband repeat for more "traditional" uses works fine - but this is not a sub-$200 true V/U / U/V FM sat HT.

>> .... maybe your contacts at the FCC's OET can explain the potential issues of importing and marketing a radio that operates outside the range(s) of its FCC certification ...

You should take that issue up with those dealers who do not abide by the FCC rules in the US. Powerwerx is limiting the rig's range out of the box - making it suitable and legal to use as a ham radio. We certainly cannot hold a dealer responsible for what an owner does after purchase ...

>> ... but there is an issue with how [Powerwerx] are currently marketing the radio on their web site ...

Please call them toll-free at 888-321-0073 or non-toll-free at 714-674-0073.

Ask to speak with Ken Mirabella. Tell him he is marketing the rig improperly. Take notes - prepare to be educated. I learn from them all the time.

Customer service is available Monday thru Friday, 8AM to 4PM PST.

10. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

We had this discussion very early in this thread. I am not with the FCC, and not acting on FCC's behalf. Do I have to spell this out for you once again? Reading is fundamental, Clint.

You are the one trying to speak from a position of knowledge and expertise, yet have not answered my clear questions about this radio over the past few weeks. You are also the one that has tried to make me out to be more than what I am - a ham operator who has a radio that is being used in line with my FCC-issued amateur license. I take care of my own operating, and don't act as the enforcement arm of that agency.

Again, do you even read the Powerwerx web site and the new FCC certification grant? If Powerwerx is configuring the radios to be limited for ham use without coverage exceeding the relevant FCC ID number on the radios Powerwerx sells or distributes to dealers like HRO, great! This was something I suggested might happen earlier in this thread.

Then feel free to learn from them how they are going to reconcile their marketing with the new certification for this radio.

Simply limiting the radio to transmitting only in the ham bands, yet allowing reception outside the ham bands, would not conform to the new FCC certification. Remember you are the one that has been citing references to contacts with Powerwerx. I have not. I have provided references to either FCC rules or information in the FCC Equipment Authorization Database (including links to the specific items, if possible). So I will not be speaking to Mr. Mirabella at this time, even though he may be a very nice and knowledgeable guy I'd enjoy speaking with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.