ad: vanity

would you shipp overseas?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KK4YPQ, May 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

In North America? Between NY and NJ. ;)

K3XR likes this.
  2. VA3VF

Double post.

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

A rig would be very costly to ship as was mentioned. Another problem I have run into is the language barrier. Not always but it can be difficult just to discuss the transaction in emails etc. or if there are any problems along the way.
    Most the time they are not all that interested in paying the high cost of shipping added to the cost of the item. If it is an Ebay auction, they lose an edge on bidding as they have to consider the overall cost which will be far higher than for someone in the states.

The customs form is really a small matter. If it was sold on Ebay and you pay for postage through them it all prints out for you.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But...if you really want the item and have the money to pay then you buy it. I don't buy radios off of Italian websites because I can get them in the US for much less :) The opposite of that isn't necessarily true.
    I've sold a lot to foreign countries and purchased a lot from foreign countries. Mostly antique radio stuff. We don't have their models here and they don't have our models there. Some frumpy local model that's only worth 30 Euros in France might be worth much more than that to me.
    Most foreign bidders have some idea of what the shipping cost and local duties will be. Using ebay's GSP plan makes that shipping cost a lot less in most cases since they are aggregating bulk shipments and can pass along that savings. I wouldn't ship to Italy any other way.

W1BR likes this.
  5. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

The nice thing about the eBay GSP program is that once the item arrives at the US handler's location they assume full responsibility for loss or damage. I sold some rather unique vintage "boys' " experimenter kits to a collector in England. They were lost and never delivered. Both buyer and seller were protected.

KK4YPQ and KP4SX like this.
  6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have purchased some items from overseas "dirt cheap" but if I were to send same there it cost a small fortune!

[​IMG]

KK4YPQ likes this.
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Better to ship over seas than under them.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. VA3VF

Two possible reasons: exchange rates, and subsidized shipping.

9. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

NO I will not ship overseas again.

I will not deal with third party shippers. { Ship it to my friend etc. }

I prefer that anything that will not fit in a Priority Mail USPS box is hand delivered. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  10. PU2NIT

PU2NIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Once, I bought a pair of DJ Turntables from the USA to Brazil. The seller was nice enough to send them in 2 boxes. Now, I've been thinking about buying a TRX.

Brazilian Customs can be a hassle. However, since we don't dealers that sell transceivers, we must import them or buy used around here (We actually have 1 or 2 Icom dealers, but it is a hassle to deal with them, and they rarely have somethung). It is to be noted that a used TRX in Brazil can cost more than a new one of the same model. Because of this, we count on sellers that send their items abroad.

I understand that there is a lot of scammers on the buying side, that filling forms can be difficult, and that the buyer "forgets" about taxes/customs/etc (in Brazil, taxes are paid upon item arrival). Thinking this way, it is also understandable that sellers will think twice before sending items to other countries.

Considering all the above, in defense of those who want to buy items from other countries, nowadays we have so many seller/buyer protection methods that it's hard to believe it's impossible to send something abroad. Paperwork remains a terrible task, though.

If I had to inquiry a seller about sending an item to Brazil, as I always do with a lot of product kinds, 1. I'd assure him I'd pay via Paypal, 2. I'd ask him about sending to Brazil via USPS OR thru some kind of mail forwarding service OR to a friend in the US (in this exact order). If all else fails, I'd ask about eBay with GSP. Why GSP as the last option? Because eBay charges much more for the GSP than it would actually cost to ship, because of customs clearance services, and taxes paid upfront.

As a community (a small niche, actually), I believe it is part of our duty to do our efforts to help our fellow hams. Of course, I'm not asking anybody to risk anything, but we have so many ways of making things go right, that I believe it is just a matter of wanting or not.