ad: Alphaant-1

Would you rather: TS-2000 vs IC-9100 with or without 23cm addons

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K3RW, Jul 14, 2018.

?

TS-2000 or IC-9100 (for both, with or without modules)

1. TS-2000 without native 23cm module (use GPS lockable transverter)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. TS-2000 with native 23cm module (it is GPS lockable and/or its good enough)

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. IC-9100 without native 23cm module (use GPS lockable transverter)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. IC-9100 with native 23cm module (it is GPS lockable and/or its good enough)

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: the TS2000, I've had one since 2011. Early on I got an xref from VK3HZ. It stabilizes the 2000 perfectly from a 10MHz GPSDO but unfortunately they are no longer available. The DSP is off freq about 1.7Hz, not a biggie. Also the sub band is only AM/FM so there are no SSB digi modes usable there. Sub rx does tune 118-174 and 220 to 500MHz (AM/FM only) but no TX there except in the 2M and 70cm band. If you're using UHF for small signal work you should probably use an amp at the antenna. I've had no issues with mine except one time it stopped accepting audio input on the AUX2 input correctly. I rectified it by resetting the unit. Yes, there is a spur on one of the satellites that's objectionable. I've heard the 'menu' button can get erratic, I've been careful with mine, I'm sure some can be brutal with that knob, it's easy to use to change freq fast as well as menu items. There's lots of features I've never used with it. Minimum of soft keys is a plus in my book, most things are right on the front panel. The DSP shift and bandwidth is functional but probably not the best. It is an old design.

2. N1ART

N1ART Ham Member QRZ Page

The 9100 was a piece of garbage! I had mine one day and the 440MHZ finals burned out.
    I hate that radio, sent it back. Manual says not a 100 percent duty cycle, its right.
    Stick with KENWOOD TS-2000, its loud, its proud, its easy to work, visually easy on the eyes and it gets any job you want done except talking on 220mhz.
    Yeah the 9100 is prettier, but I'd rather have a radio I can use.

3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to HRO and played with the IC-9700 last week. Not impressed. And apparently the Eham reviews aren't so wonderful either, given its price. Notice the selling price is already down almost $400 from just a couple of months ago!

Couldn't test it on the air, but it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be, and functionality much like a car stereo. The Eham reviews torched some of the ICOMisms in it which I know really nothing about, but other than another built-in 23cm rig, its just not worth the coin. Even at half its current price I think I'd pass.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-9100 is bigger (by about 4" in width and depth) and heavier (more than double the weight) and includes 6m, 2m and 70cm standard, with a 23cm option and also includes 160-10m all modes @ 100W output, for only $200 more than the IC-9700 cost; however if you add the 23cm module that does raise the price another $600 or so. But the 9100 standard includes 100W on 6m, while the 9700 doesn't and it's not an option. The 9100 has advanced DSP and independent dual receivers that can be tuned to any two different bands including both HF and VHF.

I own a 9100 for about a year now and it's fine, never had any problems with it at all. Have not owned a 9700 but also played with it at HRO and "meh." I prefer the 9100 display, which is not a touch-screen with a waterfall but is larger; I neither need nor even want the touch-screen.

I'd think the 9700, for its small size, light weight and reasonable cost point would have made a killer VHF-UHF "Rover" rig if only it also included six meters -- but it doesn't.