Would you rather: TS-2000 vs IC-9100 with or without 23cm addons

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K3RW, Jul 14, 2018.

?

TS-2000 or IC-9100 (for both, with or without modules)

1. TS-2000 without native 23cm module (use GPS lockable transverter)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. TS-2000 with native 23cm module (it is GPS lockable and/or its good enough)

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. IC-9100 without native 23cm module (use GPS lockable transverter)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. IC-9100 with native 23cm module (it is GPS lockable and/or its good enough)

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am partial to Icom and have the IC-9100. I really like the radio- and with the 9700 on the horizon, the price of the 9100 will drop and you get HF as a bonus. The 1.2Module was a 15 minute
    install by me, I am not a tech but handy with electronics and it was a snap. The Ts-2000 is a bit dated on technology since its introduction I believe around 1999. The 9100 was introduced around 2010, and is almost eight years old.
    The 9700 will only have 2, 432, and 1.2 so no bargain. My 2 cents. I use Ft-8 and its great, digital mode with a USB to my desktop.

2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My 9100 is just over 1yr old. I like it so much I almost had a b'day party for it. ha
    Its a solid rig, has 2 hf antenna ports, one for 1.8-30, 1 for 6M, one for 2M another for 70cm and I believe another pops up with the transverter module
    I've never heard stations like I heard on this rig. The 100W on 2M is great and 75W on UHF too
    I've been on all the sats that do voice, and I can also use the knob on the radio to tune around or via the satpc32 screen
    I built a power supply from parts
    this rig gets used every morning for a few hours and around suppertime.
    1 usb cable into the pc, it sure cleaned up the cable nest I used to have
    I've got about 15 stations programmed in for vhf utilities and the rig scans as well
    The dual bass band filters are amazing to tune out undesireables and the noise reduction works very well as does the noise blanker

3. GW7NJM

GW7NJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello. i noticed that today, there are a lot of ts 2000 for sale. i bought a new one 2 month ago. and it is deaf as a post. prob,that is why they are for sale.i told the seller who i wont name and asked for a refund, he said i have the wrong psu, that is why it is deaf. I have never heard such a load of rubbish he told me, In the end i had to get in touch with kenwood. i cant re sell it to any one like this,it is not right.next radio will be a yaesu. or icomical. def not a kenwood. 73 all

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think if you upgrade to a 1000A power supply of course the receiver, which draws about 1A, will work much better.:)

I always noticed since the TS-2000 was first introduced many years ago, absolutely nobody using one ever hears me as well as I hear them when running equivalent power.

The 9100 RX is pretty good. I do have one, and as long as the airport beacons practically pin my S meter as they sweep around (and I'm not near an airport!) on 70cm and 23cm it has all the sensitivity I could possibly use.:p

GW7NJM likes this.
  5. GW7NJM

I have orderd a 9100x.living by the sea.i can now use the 2000,in my boat as a anchor.

6. WB2WIK

Pretty light anchor.

You might want to strap a few bricks to it.:)

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

GW7NJM:

While the 9100 is better, it is also much newer. I think you got ripped off by the TS-2000 seller, who gave you BS about the power supply, at least as far as receive goes. The TS-2000 requires an Astron RS-35 or equivalent 25 Ampere supply for full power transmit use of some modes (RTTY, FM) modes, a 20 ampere supply is marginal even for SSB/CW, as most "20 Ampere" supplies are only capable of 16 amperes continuously.
    What supply were you using?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  8. WB2WIK

A 1000A power supply for the receiver is a good investment as the RX draws about 1A, so you have a 999A margin.:)

9. GW7NJM

hi. ta for reply. a watson w30 amp.. yes i have never heard such a load of poo from the mouth of a radio shop dealer, as i have lately. i was trying to listen to the rsgb,news. but nothing,so i switched on a baefung a £8 radio. and bingo. news. i did try another psu,and a car battery,to be sure. i sent the radio back to the shop,it is 8 weeks old.The comment was its ok. more poo.and they offer`d me £800 refund, i payed £1.700.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  10. WB2WIK

Unfortunate.

Here in the States, Kenwood service does a pretty good job although usually not very fast and I'll bet they'd have found a problem. If you don't have a worthwhile service shop over there, you might consider sending it back to Kenwood elsewhere, like the U.S. or perhaps Japan. The shipping cost shouldn't be crazy high, the rig doesn't weigh much. I ship stuff about that size and weight to the U.K. often, DHL or FedEx cost around $USD 150 or so. That's not "cheap," but it's much better than losing $USD 1000 or so as you discuss above.