Would you be willing to share 10m with CB?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4INU, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8QXE

N8QXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck, I work with a couple of guys that tell me,"Why should I get a license, the FCC don't do nothin and I talk to my brother all da time in Purto Rico!"," If they come to my house and take my radio, I just go down the street and buy another one!".
    LET'S STOP BICKERING AND HELP FIND WAYS FOR THE FCC TO ENFORCE THE LAWS ALREADY ON THE BOOKS!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

AnoneMouse, although it certainly does not look like it at present, i would certainly hope that you are wrong. 73 de r.w.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

This proves he knew of the problem 2+ years ago, made a whole lot of promises & has made good on NONE of them! Riley is all show, no action. Focusing on the equipment & not the operators. What is taking so long? 2+ years & still waiting for him to find the crank? Where's the beef, Chief?

TEN-METER ENFORCEMENT NEXT

The encroachment of unlicensed persons into the 10-meter band and a crackdown on illegal RF amplifiers will be the next area of enforcement. Loud applause followed this announcement by Riley Hollingsworth at the Shelby, North Carolina Hamfest. During a later interview, Hollingsworth elaborated on his comments. "We're coming on to ten months of rejuvenated amateur enforcement now, and two issues are clear--two areas we need to really crank up on next year," Hollingsworth said. "One is the incursion into 10 meters by unlicensed operators--CBers and so forth. The other is sales of illegal equipment on the Internet and at hamfests." Hollingsworth spotted more illegal equipment at Shelby than he had seen at Dayton this past May, he told those at Shelby. Shelby is better known for its flea market than its forums, but Hollingsworth drew a standing-room-only crowd, causing Hamfest organizers to hurriedly schedule a second forum and rearrange the room for more seating. --John Kanode, N4MM, provided some information for this report

Tnx ARRL Letter Online, September 17. 1999

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Very interesting post, RM! It sounds like it would have been appropriate this week! Was this speech about 10m piracy made at the Shelby Hamfest recently or two years ago?? ...73 de r.w....

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, it took place at the 1999 Shelby Hamfest. I am amazed that now he ignores the problem but in 1999 intended to act. What changed, easier targets with callsigns? If he can't make good on a promise of such magnitude, how can he be trusted to do anything at all but perform in his road show?

6. KI8JK

KI8JK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think 99.9% of these radios being sold are meant to be modified to 11m. Every where you look you can purchase these along with mod info[ Copper electronics for example] so the sellers know why they're being bought. If they want to sell the radio's, take the band switches out of them to make them less accessible.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Well this article has generated more than its share of comments, opinions, and posts. It is comparatively recent. Let's give the FCC a chance so that we will have a better idea of what they intend to do/will do. I cannot help but believe that they are not only aware of this 10m piracy problem, but are also very well aware of the reaction to it on QRZ.COM by the ham population. So let's see what actually happens in the months ahead.

8. N4INU

N4INU QRZ Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all your input guys and gals!! I am both touched and flattered by your responses. --73 de N4INU--

9. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

...and nearly 3 years later, no change !!

10. KA5ULO

KA5ULO Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC is now focusing on illegal 10m operaton, although very lightly. They are writing warning letters to the trucking companies stating that they risk the imposition of fines. Some CB shops have also been raided, but usually these are the most flagrant violators.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.