Would VHF/UHF groundplane 'stick' antenna installed Attic with 'TechShield' radiant barrier work?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4CKX, Aug 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Alors, avec petit travail, le slot antenna possible la, n'est ce pas? (seulement VHF/UHF)

Bonne idee, Rgege!

Bon chance!

2. N1LOU

N1LOU Ham Member QRZ Page

I would make a J pole antenna out of 450 ohm ladder line, paint it the same color as the siding on the house. Stick it out the window when you wish to operate and pull it back in when through.

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    AK5B likes this.
  4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure it will work and stinks of ham. Go for it.

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The slot antenna is an efficient radiator, and it could be worth trying. However, because the entire attic has foil it would probably be effective only in the direction directly toward the adjacent shingles and not much elsewhere because of foil in other directions. If you do try it, be aware that vertical polarization requires a horizontal slot (and vice versa). Also, to match 50 Ohms requires connecting the coax about 1/20 of a wavelength from one end of the slot, not at the center of the slot.

Kraus discusses the slot antenna starting p.624 of Antennas, 2nd edition, 1988.

Here is a slot antenna cut into a satellite dish: http://w6nbc.com/articles/20xx-dishslot.pdf

I would think that a single slot might also work well enough for 70 cm since it's an odd wavelength multiple, but I'm not sure about that.

Does the HOA prohibit outside antennas at other locations besides the roof? Or are all outside antennas banned?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    AK5B likes this.
  6. W4CKX

W4CKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Tank you all for your feedback.
    Many of you are mentioning a slot antenna, and this is where I am heading towards.

My problem is that my roof has a high pitch (45) and stands 35 feet from the ground (3 stories) . It is therefore very dangerous to get up there, and I just don't want to risk a fall.
    The HOA has clear guidelines that rule out all antennas, and also forbid satellite dishes seen from the street.

I have easy access to the attic, so going to cut aluminum foil off from the radiant barrier seems very doable. I can always fix mistakes with foil tape and try again.

Yesterday, I attended the presentation on Slot antennas by John Portune W6NBC. I also read his book published on Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Slot-Antennas-Ham-Radio-Forgotten-ebook/dp/B08D8LC9HP/

I think I will go this route: 4 horizontal slot antennas: 1 VHF, 1 UHF on each pan of the roof + duplexer and a 2 way antenna selector switch to select the side of the roof.

Keep posting feedback. I will keep this thread going until I have favorable RX/TX !!

AI3V and AK5B like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another possibility, if nobody has mentioned it yet, is to make a J-Pole out of very thin wire, stick it to the side of the house or a patio column and paint over it. Another thing some do is make a J-Pole as part of a trellis or other plant support that could sit out on a patio or balcony, or hide a wire version inside of a PVC decorative sculpture or plant support.

(I mention jpoles because they are slim, easy to make, and can be hidden easily, though they have close to zero gain and may have common mode problems.)

N1LOU and AK5B like this.
  8. KK4YIV

KK4YIV Ham Member QRZ Page

N0TZU likes this.
  9. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

you can open the vent pipe near the top of the peak 1in hole then push your daul band ant up too open air put hook on base of your mount duct tape close with hook under tape take coax out attic cache to radio

10. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

well could go the flag pole in back yard too