ad: NI4L-2

Would this work for putting in ground radials?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0JJG, Mar 19, 2017 at 9:54 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K5URU

K5URU Ham Member QRZ Page

I made something similar to cut a slit across my gravel driveway, but I actually used a grinder. And I mean a power tool grinder, not just the blade. :eek: I welded the frame from some scrap steel and added a couple of lawn mower tires. It was awkward, unwieldy, and probably pretty dangerous, but I have to say - it got the job done. I don't know how else I would have been able to get through all those rocks.

IMG_0622.JPG

NH7RO and KE0JJG like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

People here would kill for soil like that! Why not use a butter knife to cut a slit?

Seriously though - I would not use the chain saw. Even though the chain may be expendable There will be lots of dirt getting dragged onto the bar and engine sprockets and they may wear a lot.

You said your tractor is too big. With the soil so soft perhaps a slitter of some kind temporarily welded to a riding lawnmower would work? Or attached to a truck hitch?

NH7RO and WA7PRC like this.
  4. KE0JJG

KE0JJG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that would work, and I thought about trying to fab something up with some scrap steel laying around, but I just gave up and ordered one of those Black & Decker edger/trencher yard hog things off of Amazon. It'll be here here Thursday. I don't know what the heck I'll do with it when I'm done, but I might come up with another project of some kind.

K5URU likes this.
  5. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought some aluminum screening to cover holes where insects were getting into my shack. I was thinking about cutting circle out of that and putting it under my base plate for my Hustler 5btv 1/4 wave verticle. Its a thicker screening, with small holes, than is in a typical screen door.

6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Use it for your second, third, fourth and possibly fifth verticals. One can never have too many antennas (regardless of what many xyls say). Four squares and phased arrays are your friends:)