Woud a disguised Cobweb work the same?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G1YBB, Sep 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too!

San Francisco > Yosemite > Zion > Bryce > Lake Powell > Monument Valley > Grand Canyon ....... then home to Northampton :(

Steve G3TXQ

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it can be confusing with 2 stop lights in the whole town... Beautiful place. WA7DU, did you get the animals at BF? or bringing them there?

Ed

3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you are also a cat herder as am I (albeit with the legal minimum that constitutes a herd; 3).

Never been through Kanab yet---only as close as Delta, Moab, Kayenta, Four Corners and Monument Valley over the years. Beautiful country all around and probably a great (quiet) location for a QTH.

I wonder how the cobweb is coming along...?

73, Jeff

4. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh-oh. Feeling dumb. BF ? Why doesn't BF trigger a synapse in my brain ? BF Goodrich ? No, that can't be right. I will do my best to answer the question, but since I do not know what BF means, I may miss by a mile...

All of the animals, at least the four legged ones, came from Idaho. We (both four legged AND two legged) were on our way to our new home in Arizona. Upon arrival there, my ever-helpful brother-in-law made the mistake of trying to wrangle one of the cats. That particular cat had, by that point in the trip, decided that peaceful coexistence was an obsolete policy. The cat-scratch scars on the Brother-in-Law's torso are testament to the cat's ability to wage war.

So, Idaho, through Montana, back into Idaho, barely skirting the Wyoming border, through Utah, and into Arizona. Does any of that cover BF ?

5. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

BF is Best Friends animal sanctuary. It's just north of town. The XYL works there. When people talk of multiple animals & Kanab, it usually involves them.

Ed

6. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen fiberglass hollow rod sold online for tent poles.

I have also seen solid fiberglass sold online for kites.

There are nocs and end fitings available for fiberglass hollow rods for arrows.

I would think no matter what materials you use, so many good ideas in the thread, you could go outside at night to connect the balun rather than leave it in place.

I do not think it should collapse, like an umbrella, and go inside in the daytime.

There are aluminum or stainless steel pop rivit fasterers, requiring a pop rivit tool, that might be used.

However you might consider assembling it, like a kite, because those fittings are available, then, the entire assembly could conceivably be put up or taken down.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  7. W7CJD

I just thought:

1. There are big umbrellas for golf.

2. There are really quite huge umbrellas, made of wood components, called market umbrellas for dining al fresco, seen at coffee shops in USA.

I have seen that huge umbrella sold for lawn furniture.

You might conceal your spider antenna under the canopy of a "market umbrella".

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  8. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but a 30-foot high canopy? Probably would get blown away to the next county when the first breeze comes along!

Strange things happen in the night.

I think the best idea so far is to use the kite fixtures and make it a single or duo-bander; all the easier to put up and take down as needed.

Jeff

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one of these. They are cranked open with a winch handle, but are far more durable than the typical patio umbrellas. They are also a huge 10 foot squarish circle :) when opened.

The pole they use are a a 2" diameter pipe and you bolt them directly to your deck. They sell these at Home Depot where they sell all the other antenna parts. :)

Here:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors...las-Bases/Patio-Umbrella/N-5yc1vZbx65Z1z0voix

However, the spreaders for the canopy are metal so...

10. W7CJD

The "Market Umbrellas" have a wood pole and wood spreaders.

I have seen this type umbrella for sale at stores like that at Pier 1 import store in San Francisco, CA and seasonally on sale at Albertson's grocery store in Montana.

I usually see the "Market Umbrella" at sidewalk tables at coffee shops.

google: Market Umbrella