Woud a disguised Cobweb work the same?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G1YBB, Sep 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

So many Yagis, so little time!

Coincidentally, I may be putting my own home-brewed cobweb back up in a couple months once we move to our new QTH. I last used it during the summer of 2012 when we lived in New Mexico (glad I hung onto it)!

Now for some sunspots and higher solar flux...

Jeff

2. G1YBB

G1YBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh so true. Since starting the cobweb project, and ignoring a few wire dipoles I have made 22 yagis for myself and 1 for a friend.
    these next 4 are it for a while.
    (though I do fancy 2x3 for 6m to go with the 6 ele....)

AK5B likes this.
  3. G1YBB

N5AF, KP4SX and AK5B like this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations! If anyone asks tell them that it's your laundry line for the long-boom Yagis you like to build ("a clean Yagi is a good Yagi" or something like that :D)

I'm sure TXQ Steve would have been proud---and that is a very nice write-up you linked above, too.

Jeff

G1YBB likes this.
  5. G1YBB

Thanks Jeff. I wanted to peg a few of the YL's smalls to it for authenticity but she wouldn't let me.

AK5B likes this.
  6. SP3L

SP3L Ham Member QRZ Page

G1YBB likes this.
  7. G1YBB

Many thanks. I do like to engineer things where possible. I'm not a fan of 'fiddling' so other than HF wire antennas I aim for a right first time if I can, so I think it over for some time, 3D model it all up, evolve it if required, think of a way to make it easy to make it right, then hopefully make it right! So far nearly all my VHF/UHF yagis have been spot on.
    Jigs, I like jigs :) To take away human error:
    https://g1ybb.uk/accurately-cutting-yagi-elements-to-size/
    https://g1ybb.uk/70cms-rg179-dk7zb-match-cutting-jig/

AK5B likes this.
  8. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been said several times before, but I'll say it again. Great write up on your web page!

The methodical step-by-step descriptions of your build are excellent. I do like the tables showing your wire cuts during the tuning process.

I've got almost all the supplies to construct a Cobweb. The only thing I'm lacking is free time.

G1YBB likes this.
  9. G1YBB

Thanks again. Free time, THAT is the issue. This is the end of my 3 weeks furlough due to the virus, so I have doing projects basically full time for 3 weeks, apart from a few days washed out by rain where I did admin like QSO uploads and database updates.
    So it is good to get this one done as my friend who modified the spider design for me has been patiently waiting to see how it worked.
    I got the intial estimates on the KHz/cm trimming from @SP3L in this thread I believe, but logged mine as it's always good to see what others found when you are going to try it yourself.
    Oh I must add the weight to the page, I weighed it today. ( 1.2kg total )

10. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many HOAs now allow for outside clotheslines thanks to State laws.

I'd consider any antenna that works, regardless of height above ground, so long as it would get you on the air.

I'd hide one of those in an approved canopy over a patio, or simply built a clothesline WEB antenna that looks like the photo below:)
    So long as you dry clothes on it occasionally, it would be a clothesline.
    images.jpg

AK5B and G1YBB like this.