ad: QSKLLC-1

World's Ugliest Dummy Load

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KG4GVL, Feb 12, 2013.

?

Is this Really the World's Ugliest Dummy Load?

Poll closed Feb 19, 2013.
  1. YES

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. NO

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. The OP is the only Dummy I see here.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KG4GVL

KG4GVL Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KG4GVL

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

EDIT: Nevermint... you fixt it already..Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist.

4. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like that you have a sense of humor! ;)

5. KG4GVL

Thanks for watching out!

6. KG4GVL

Thanks for the votes guys!

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

No, mine is a big pale green thing, about a foot long, with thick heat radiating fins all along the top side.

8. KG4GVL

I would like to see pics!

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

For high power, I now use a homebrew air-cooled dummy load, made with four 50Ω/400W flange-mount resistors in series-parallel:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tests indicate it can handle 1600W all day with the temperature staying on the good side of the curve. VSWR < 1.5:1 to at least 54 MHz (I didn't bother sweeping it higher). I built it using scrapped parts from my former employer. Similar RF power resistors can be found on ebay and from surplus suppliers. It should be noted that the common TO-package non inductive power resistors are rated full power at 25°C (77°F) and derate above that temperature. The resistors I used (Anaren #RFP-400-50R) don't derate until you get them to 100°C (212°F).

Yeah, it's not as nice as a Bird, etc. But, it works fine for my purposes, and didn't cost nearly as much as a Bird, etc. In fact, all the parts were scrapped by a former employer (cost = zero). I still have a couple dozen resistors and two heatsinks. I use my refurbished Heathkit Cantenna for lower power tests.

Henry Radio sells new surplus flange-mount terminators* on ebay. They currently have two 100Ω/800W terminators for $100 (link) that ought to work well at much higher frequencies. Hmm! :)

* A terminator has one terminal connected to its mounting flange. A resistor has neither terminal connected to its mounting flange. Terminators can be used only singly or in parallel. Resistors can be used singly, in parallel, series, or series-parallel.

10. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

I dunno, mine might give it a run for its money...

dummyload1.jpg

:p

Works okay for the rig barefoot (you know, when submerged in mineral oil inside the paint can, not pictured here because everyone knows what a quart paint can looks like), not quite so helpful when I have the SB-201 fired up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.