World War II

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KG7LEA, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

German "agent sets" were quite special.
    There was a whole spectrum of types and configurations, ranging from high-powered "suitcase sets" with 100W or so and a separate receiver, to "transmitter add-ons" that was an adapter that was plugged into the AF power tube socket of a domestic receiver.

cubo2.jpg

Also, the activity of German agents using clandestine radio was quite small. A fitting example is that the British expected a large number of enemy agents to infiltrate the British society and operate from their soil.

An ambitious programme for intercepting and analysing the agent transmissions was fielded, much with the help of the RSGB.

But, after some year of operation, this network had not intercepted anywhere near the numbers expected. The few spies that were landed were quickly caught and either turned into double-agents or hanged.

So quite soon, the network became re-organised to intercept enemy traffic from occupied Europe instead. Which it did admirably.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

N2EY likes this.
  2. W9YAC

W9YAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I o
    I ordered this book-thank you for the tip.

KP4SX likes this.
  3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

SK Bill Roper w7DPK told me he found and located the spy of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii from Nebraska. He said he said something, and the spy ran out of where he was hiding and captured.

He had a WWII era photo of him in Nebraska. It appeared it was a military installation.

He said he did that with radio. He didn't say more about it.

He also showed me a WWII era magazine ad, that had an advertisement in the back pages looking much like an electric blanket but sold as a neck warmer.

He said, reconnect some wires and WWII spies had a radio.

I don't think he made it up.

There is a museum at the airport and the amateur radio repeater group have his callsign.

I have lived in Manette, now Bremerton, WA.

My mother said the couple that had a landscape nursery were spies, nearby now Illahee State Park, reported when the submarine nets went up or down.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

EJ:

Thread drift is very common here on QRZ.com. As such, don't sweat the small stuff!

Glen, K9STH

5. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason for the small number is the majority were turned. The agents' handlers fed back information to Germany and the Abwehr did not play with success.

N2EY and KD2ACO like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's because he made up or greatly exaggerated the story.

Locate a spy in Hawaii from Nebraska with 1940s technology? Sorry, no.

Besides, the Japanese didn't really use spies. If they had, they'd have not attacked Pearl Harbor until the aircraft carriers returned.

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It depends on one's definition of just what is a spy!

The Japanese definitely had spies in Hawai'i. However, they were part of the diplomatic corps and sent the material in diplomatic communications, in diplomatic parcels which were immune from searching, and so on. Those persons did not need to use any radio equipment.

There was a scheduled overfly of Hawai'i from the French Frigate Shoals by a Japanese aircraft to determine if the aircraft carriers were in port. For sometime before 7 December 1941, they had been running nighttime reconnaissance flights over Pearl Harbor. However, the last of these flights, before the attack, had to be cancelled and the result was that the Japanese did not verify that the carriers were in port. Since the carriers had been in port, they assumed that the carriers were still there which, fortunately, they were not.

Glen, K9STH