ad: Retevis-1

World Amateur Radio Day 2021

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2JLD, Apr 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

World Amateur Radio Day 2021 - APRIL 18TH - 9AM EST/13.00UTC

ECHOLINK *ROC-HAM* Conference server node number 531091

Allstar node number 2585, 47620, 53130, 53130

WARD2021 QSL Card Template.jpg

"World Amateur Radio Day 2021"

*ROC-HAM* Conference node #531091 today announced that for the 6th straight year, we will be participating in WORLD AMATEUR RADIO DAY on APRIL 18TH, 2021.

Join us as we celebrate the 96th year of the formation of the I.A.R.U in Paris, France in 1925, Since 1925, the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) has been the watchdog and spokesman for the world Amateur Radio community. All licensed radio amateurs benefit from the work of the IARU, whether or not they are members of their national IARU member-society. But every licensed radio amateur should be a member. "Only by combining our efforts in this way can we ensure the future health of Amateur Radio, for ourselves and for future generations".

Special Theme for World Amateur Radio Day 2021 Announced

The IARU Administrative Council has chosen “Amateur Radio: Home but Never Alone” as the theme for World Amateur Radio Day, Sunday, 18 April 2021. Faced with a pandemic that forced the adoption of extreme physical isolation to reduce the spread of the virus, the worldwide amateur radio community responded positively to overcome the resulting social isolation. In the days and weeks following the onset of the pandemic radio amateurs reached out spontaneously to one another via the airwaves at the local, national, and global levels. Local “wellness nets” provided friendly voices and regular status checks to those, especially the elderly, who are confined to their homes. “Stay safe” special event stations in dozens of countries reminded us all of the importance of limiting the spread of the virus. On-the-air activity was at an unprecedented level throughout the remainder of 2020, with record-breaking numbers of entries in the major contests.

No matter where WORLD AMATEUR RADIO DAY is celebrated, be part of something that's bigger than all of us.

Come by the original WORLD AMATEUR RADIO DAY Celebration that started in 2015, I came up with an idea to recognize World Amateur Radio Day that noone else came up with while I was a net controller on another echolink conference and after leaving that conference it was moved to another echolink conference where it was welcomed with open arms and since 2015 the event has grown 10 fold. Now that I have my own Echolink Conference the ROC-HAM, The special event now has a permanant home, where I will continue doing what I started in 2015.

This special event is put on to bring people together, celebrate and explore the world of amateur radio. Have great fellowships, makes friends, learn new things, whether your special event is a large one or a small one its all about celebrating amateur radio. So make sure you stop by to one of the LARGEST special event on VOIP/Echolink on the *ROC-HAM* Echolink conference node 531091.

Let's make this special event huge, support "WORLD AMATEUR RADIO DAY" and see if we can break the record of 490 checkins, you have 16 hours to do so.

Last year we brought together 490 ham radio operators, many of them from all over the world connecting via different modes, many from different cultures. During this pandemic the theme of "Amateur Radio: Home but Never Alone" certainly lived up to it theme.......It was a time where more ham radio licenses were issued in any other time.....ham radio was a vital link for so many people......but have we not been social distancing from the very beginning. So now its time to celebration amateur radio and what it means to be part of something bigger than all of us.

So make sure you stop by checkin with all the net controllers and grab a special event qsl card. We will also have a live stream on the original WORLD AMATEUR RADIO DAY YouTube channel.....

This 16 hour net will be from 9am est April 18th to 1am est April 19th, this is the first time we will be doing a 16 hour net, as always we will have a special event QSL Card that you can obtain via a S.A.S.E., If you are getting more than one qsl card make sure you adhere the proper postage to your S.A.S.E.

We do also international request, so don't be afraid to ask for a card, and I don't think I need to draw a picture of how to do a self addressed stamped envelope, the ham radio community that I know is intelligent enough to know how. There are more than enough special event qsl cards to go around so check in with each net controllers and get a card, remember if your getting more than 1 card make sure you have proper postage on your S.AS.E.

If you do not want to do the S.A.S.E. option you can donate $5.00 usd to cover postage and handling cost to my paypal account at dmotorsports@gmail.com.

If you are using the paypal method and are looking to get more that three qsl card please add 2.00$ to cover additional postage and handling cost.

Here is a list of net controllers for WORLD AMATEUR RADIO DAY 2021!!!

PST EST UTC CALLSIGN

6am - 8am - 9am - 11am - 13:00 - 15:00 - W2JLD - JOHN - ROCH, NEW YORK - Special event coordinator for "WORLD AMATEUR RADIO DAY" - 2 hr

8am - 10am - 11am - 1pm - 15:00 - 17:00 - 2W0KYH - DECLAN - SOUTH WALES,UK - Net controller for the SCARS - 2 hrs

10am - 12noon - 1pm - 3pm - 17:00 - 19:00 - GW8SZL - DAVE - SOUTH WALES,UK - System admin for the SWDG Conference - 2hrs

12noon - 2pm - 3pm - 5pm - 19:00 - 21:00 - VO1UKZ - DARYYLL - NEWFOUNDLAND, CANADA - System admin for DODROPIN - 2 hrs

2pm - 3pm - 5pm - 6pm - 21:00 - 22:00 - KI7RMU - JACK - NET CONTROLLER ON THE PUDGET SOUND REPEATER WW7PSR - 1 hr

3pm -4pm - 6pm - 7pm - 22:00 - 23:00 - VA3ODJ - DESIREE - NET CONTROLLER FOR THE ALASKA MORNING NET ON SUNDAYS - 1hr

4pm - 6pm - 7pm - 9pm - 23:00 - 01:00 - KK6LOE - DIANE - NET MANGER ON THE HANDIHAM ECHOLINK CONFERENCE - 2 hrs

6pm - 7pm - 9pm - 10pm - 01:00 - 02:00 - KD2GUT - CARYN EVE - AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE REPORTER - 1 hr

7pm - 9pm - 10pm - 12pm- 02.00 - 04:00 - N3NTV - DAVE - NET CONTROLLER FOR SANTA WATCH NET IN DECEMBER - 2 hrs

9pm - 10pm - 12pm - 1am - 04:00 - 05:00 - YOUR CALL SIGN NEEDS TO BE HERE EMAIL ME IF YOUR INTERESTED!! - 1 hr

JUST IN FROM AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE DATED APRIL 9TH 2021

ECHOLINK NET TO MARK WORLD AMATEUR RADIO DAY

PAUL/ANCHOR: Speaking of the IARU, it's almost time to mark its 96th anniversary. The worldwide celebration includes this one happening on Echolink. Kevin Trotman N5PRE tells us about it.

KEVIN: Like the International Amateur Radio Union itself, one net celebrating the IARU's founding has undergone plenty of changes since its inception. The net began modestly on Echolink in 2015 when John DeRycke (Duh Rikey) W2JLD said he noticed there were no celebrations being held in that mode to mark the IARU's founding in Paris in 1925. It has grown in subsequent years to include other modes and extended hours of operation. This year's net will span 16 hours with 10 to 12 net controllers from around the world and the special event call sign W7W. Hams will be checking in on the ROC-HAM Echolink conference node 531091 and on Allstar 2585. Other conferences will be linked in including the *DODROPIN* NODE 355800, WALES NODE 485040 and the South Wales Digital Group node 676659. Users of DMR and the Hamshack Hotline will also be able to check in.

For full details of the celebration visit the QRZ page for W7W and to view the QSL card marking the event.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Kevin Trotman N5PRE.

W9DSN likes this.
  2. W2JLD

how do i delete this from the ham radio news as i reposted to special events portion

3. W2JLD

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS!!

4. VE6SH

VE6SH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for supporting WARD!

Tim VE6SH

K5MPH and W2JLD like this.
  5. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

6. AE5II

AE5II Ham Member QRZ Page

leave both posts up as it will be seen by more folks ... better coverage IMHO
    KC

7. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be working with CW and QRP power portable from my bicycle.

Echo link? radio? what am I not getting?

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. W2JLD

I agree, the more the merrier to checkin...have lots of qsl cards!!

K5MPH likes this.
  9. W2JLD

echolink roc-ham conference node 531091

10. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a flop as most amateurs did not know about this special day and most have soured on the ARRL. Only a few on HF knew globally. Next year, we must do better.

11. W2JLD

it was not a flop, we recorded 621 checkins!!!

and how could you not know about this event.

maybe if you opened your eyes and did some reading about this event, you would have found out that it was a success

12. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not many operators i know knew anything about this event. Myself included.
    No mention on any of the various nets, rags chews, social media or other sources that many utilize.
    ARRL has pretty much been blacklisted by a majority of operators so advertising there is futile.

No offense meant or implied but only 621 check ins isn't worth bragging about when there are 779,725 actively licensed Hams in America (FCC 2021) and over 3 million worldwide.
    So only 0.0796% of American Hams and less than 0.0207% of worldwide Hams participated.

Next time flood every magazine, website, publication, social media and net to draw attention.
    Shoot me an email in advance and I will gladly spread it to everyone I communicate with.

13. W2JLD

it was advertised on ham nation, amateur radio newsline and on the arrl website and was in the qst magazine.

say what you will we did some to mark the formation of the IARU

it was all over social media on facebook about world amateur radio day

if you think you can do better then by all means go out a do a special event

14. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

In a digital world saturated by a flood of information (98% being propaganda disguised as news) most folks are being ever more selective in what they allow to appear on their screen - or reading when it does appear.
    Blaming the target audience for not getting your message will not improve their willingness to listen. .. .. .. Just sayin'

N8ZI likes this.