Working special events with CW ???

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5UNX, Jul 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After my first CW QSO this year, I started emailing the other op and we connected again later. Planning on doing that some more, scheduled qso's with some friends and other ops. My big problem is not recognizing the letters fast enough and I miss a lot. It is getting better though. I have the K7QO code course on my phone to provide extra listening content. I think it's helping also as I listen while driving.

2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

one mistake I made was when I missed a letter or two was to dwell on it, that caused me to miss more letters. Got advice to just forget about them and carry on then best guess the words with missing letters. This worked pretty good and before long I was writing the words down on just a few send characters. for example "n_ _ e hr is " became "name hr is" . Sometimes you will miss characters due to qrn or qrm so just carry on and your decoded copy even with missing letters will start to make sense. W1AW sends full text and could help with this method of fill in the blanks.
    It absolutely does help to listen as much as possible

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

The only CW you need to know is your CALLSIGN. Sent at high speeds or slow speeds. I also use FLDIGI as a backup to confirm what I THOUGH I HEARD. That is the best CW Decoder. ALSO use a MFJ CW sender that has 4 programmable memories. I put my call in one and then RR 5NN TU in another. That way I just have 2 buttons to push to send PERFECT CODE. Sending by hand is not a good idea unless the CW op on the other end is a real pro. I want my call sent perfectly every time.
    I worked several of the 13 COL stations on CW and even have CW DXCC using this technique. I love seeing my callsign printed out confirming what I though I heard. Just can't be too sure

4. K8RXB

K8RXB Subscriber QRZ Page

Trust your ears and not technology. Remember that CW can be considered an art form that you can continue to improve over time. I urge our newer club CW ops to log for a more experienced op during Field Day or other special events. They come away with more than they expect. FWIW our club CW ops use either straight key or bug for Field Day at about 20wpm and we do fairly well. Keep at it, and you will be fine. As I said before; trust your ears.

5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hit 1 of 2 computer keys with paw. Hit 2nd key. You're always 599 in my book!

Passes the Turing Test for rodents.

FB & GL to us all.

Wow.

M6GYU likes this.
  6. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

this is excellent advise... most anyone will slow down for you.. I recommend you join SKCC and get on our posted frequencies.. everyone is extremely patient and helpful..been causing qrm for over 52 years on the cw bands.. still prefer good clean cw , even at 5 wpm to the 40wpm sloppy guys.. the ones who send clean cw at 40 wpm are usually the computer ops, who mostly don't actually know an e from a t.. I'm not saying all by any means, there those few who can melt the brass on a j-38, but they're few and far between. Welcome aboard and listen for me.
    tom

W5BIB and W4AUT like this.
  7. W4AUT

W4AUT Ham Member QRZ Page

BEING A "C.W OP" IS A SKILL!! USING A COMPUTER FOR C.W. TAKES AWAY THE HUMAN ELEMENT OF TWO RADIOMAN
    USING THEIR "SKILL'S" TO ENJOY THE QSO!! GEE, CAN'T WE JUST HAVE FUN WITH OUR C.W. TALENT AND KEEP COMPUTER'S OUT OF THIS FORM OF COMMUNICATIONS! I DO NOT WANT TO QSO WITH A DAMN COMPUTER!!!

8. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As more of a SWLer now, I appreciate almost all of the cw I hear now, whether bug, SK, paddle, or keyboard. The more CW, the better, but I think at some point, someone will decide we need a 'pure' un-computer CW club with website, numbers, etc. Unclear how one might differentiate between keyboard cw and computer keyboard cw since they both use chips. Also while I'm typing, I don't appreciate the guy or guys going around sending 'LID' on qsos. Hearing a lot of that brattish activity now. Really disappointing. Hats off to the good ops out there!! Hang in there.

W4AUT likes this.
  9. W4AUT

W4AUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Spot on Sir! , I completely agree with you!!