Worked Antarctica on 100 Watts, Inverted V

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4GT, Sep 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

SO, I was tuning around on 20 meters and was about to give up and move to 40 when I heard a weak CQ which I answered, not expecting them to be able to hear me. It was KC4AAA, from the South Pole and surprisingly the band opened up and we were able to work each other with good solid 57 signals for 20 minutes or so.

The ham I chatted with is a scientist working on neutrino detection and as it turns out he graduated from my alma-mater.

Anyway, someone remind me why I should worry about installing a tri-bander when I can work Antarctica on my inverted V :D .

KU4X, KO4LZ, W7UUU and 5 others like this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats. :)

A yagi can make the difference when you need forward gain to work a given station OR F/B or F/S rejection to NOT hear stations you DON'T want to work. It's nice to turn my 40-10m yagi away from a QRM/QRN source and have it go away. The only problem is when both the desired and undesired signals are in the same (or nearly same) direction. :)

3. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked Antarctica (KC4USV) in 1989 with 25 watts and a very poor 10-meter mobile antenna. When nature cooperates, it's all possible.

KU4X, W7UUU and WA7PRC like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are there really ants in arctica?

I was just on 20m, had a long ragchew with K1JRF in NH, very strong signals. The band has recovered!

Solar flare?
    I don't care.
    No spots?
    Connect the dots.
    SFI?
    Do, or die.
    K index?
    Eat Tex-Mex.
    QSB?
    Bumblebee.

KU4X likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So that's why you can't hear me.... :D :p

6. WB2WIK

Because there have been so many operations from Antarctica over so many years, it's not even on the "most wanted 200" list. It's really not on any kind of most wanted list, as it's about as rare as France.

However...there are times when "no operations" are ongoing there, and then a contact is impossible.

A good friend of mine from NJ, K2BPP, operated from not just Antarctica, but from the actual South Pole (which changes location constantly, but you can nail it for a brief moment) and that must have been seriously cool. He also operated as NP1 from the North Pole (which also changes location constantly, but he also nailed it for a day) and was the first person in history to have ever been to both poles. That was back in the late 1970s, but I don't know if anyone else has ever done that.

7. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked KC4USN at the South Pole Station in 1969 as a Novice, 55 watts to a 40M dipole. QSL was hand delivered by the operator, who was an Air Force aerographer. He had done his deployment with the Navy and returned to his little cubbyhole at Nellis Air Force Base. Not quite Area 51, but pert'near.

8. WB2WIK

My first KC4 contact (at least as I recall) was KC4AAA also when I was a Novice. 40m CW. The card is here, someplace. I was very excited and didn't actually get where he was, then figured it out later.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Make no mistake, working ANY station is good. Working Antarctica, while not yuuuge DX, is still good. :)
    Maybe I don't hear you. Or, maybe I hear you but just don't answer. :p:rolleyes:

WB7OXP and W4IOA like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

See! :eek:

WA7PRC likes this.