Worked All States

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats Jim,

I need Alaska on 80m to complete WAS on 80
    but more importantly, I need AK on 80 for an additional DXCC to complete 7 bdxcc

10, 15, 17, 20, 30, 40 are good to go, but I need
    another DXCC on 80 to qualify for multi-band (7) DXCC.

I qualified for the Triple Play when it first came out

ANY DXCC on 80 will do, but I would REALLY like it to be AK.

I have listened for contest stations from AK all the time but
    I have only heard ONE in all these years, and I couldn't get thru to that one.

RATS

N2EY likes this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats, Jim.

Now try for a bigger WAS challenge:
    Triple Play ... WAS on phone, cw & digital -- all since 2009 and all confirmed only on LoTW.
    http://www.arrl.org/triple-play

Not as easy as it may sound.

Since the award was initiated in 2009, only bit more than 2,000 operators have achieved it. ;)

N2EY likes this.
  3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations and thanks for posting.

It only took me about 30 years to get WAS. As a novice, I dutifully colored in my official ARRL WAS map as new ones were confirmed. I never did get it fully colored in and eventually lost interest.

Many years later, I decided to shift the goal and go for 5BWAS. I think I still have a couple of "easy" ones, but mostly I need the close-in states on 15 and 10. Thanks to LOTW, I can now pick up where I left off when I get interested in the project again.

But TPA came out at one of the times I was seriously working toward 5BWAS, so I used it as an opportunity, since there were others busy working states. I could hand out MN for TPA, and I might get some of my missing ones on 15 and 10. I only got a few new ones, but I noticed that I almost had WAS on CW and phone. And a few guys were begging me for MN on digital, which I didn't have. So I whipped together a PSK31 interface to work them, and in the process, I was close to WAS on digital. So I went ahead and got the remaining ones and got TPA. The certificate is still in the envelope around here somewhere, but after 30 years, I had WAS.

N2EY likes this.
  4. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, me too. Never was much for awards, though. 40 CW rules! :)

N2EY likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree! I think it's a very cool and unique award. I'm not in the shack but I think mine is #1741 or thereabouts. It's not the prettiest of wall plaques (shocking green!) but I'm still happy to have it and what effort it really does represent to get one. (JT65 was my primary digital mode)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  6. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It took me 53 years.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Finally, after many years, I'm able to get back on 40 (and 80) CW and it really is fun!! For so long I had horrid S9 noise, poor antennas, city location, etc. but now with a 150' dipole (ladder fed) at about 100', I'm back in it in a big way and love it!!

Dave
    W7UUU

W5BIB, WD4IGX, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  8. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wish I could get one that high, but at 69 I don't climb trees as well as I once did. :p

9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree, Dave.
    But you can make it look a LITTLE more presentable ... instead of just hanging it as it comes, put it inside a black frame.
    That "takes the edge off" the lime green, a bit. ;)

W7UUU likes this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At 72 I have difficulty lighting the pilot on my gas fireplace. I remember the days I gathered, chopped, and stacked real firewood. Those were also the days I had a “real” antenna.

W9FL and W4ZD like this.