Worked All States

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, sometimes it also depends on the circumstance... ARRL does not issue W.A.S. certificates or even endorsements for HW-16, Tempo One, Eico 753, HW-9 or Southgate Radio products - so printing your own sometimes is the only way to go ;):)

Dave
    W7UUU

W4NNF, K4TTJ, WF4W and 1 other person like this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Gang,

I don’t agree with Jim’s analogy. Try thIs:

Two people are interested in running the NYC (or pick your preference) Marathon. Both are equally prepared. One formally enters — pays the entry fee, gets the bib with a number, and all that. For reasons not important, the other does not.

Day of the race, one of them is in the pack ready to run with everyone else. The other is on the sidewalk adjacent to the course. Suffice to say both run the actual route, but only one does so as a formal part of the race... timed, acknowledged, the whole schmear.

Both have run a marathon. Only one has done so “officially.”

IF you want the official recognition, apply for the award. You know what the costs are. If it’s important to you, find a way. OTOH, if the official recognition is not important to you, and you don’t want to spend the shekels, then don’t. YOU know you did it, even if no one else does... and outside of our small group of amateur radio operators, few if any will care one way or the other.

Just, respectfully, don’t kvetch about the costs. They are what they are. You don’t have to like them (I don’t) but there they are.

KA2IRQ and N2EY like this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

An observation:

There are folks who do what you describe - they are referred to as "bandits" (and some other names I won't post here). In the running world, they are not highly regarded.

Then there's the "Rosie Ruiz Track Club", but that's another story.

4. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I never understood the animosity some people feel towards the ARRL about WAS and DXCC... If they want to charge $500 for the award, they can. It's their award, their program. They can change the rules... the rules don't have to be fair or make sense... it's their program, their rules, their fees.

If you don't like it, it's a simple matter to not participate.

5. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

And yet, they still ran the same marathon. The "bandits" obviously don't buy (literally) into the other sides' position either.

For me, I love the chase and tracking - the WAS and DXCC programs give me a goal and the parameters to measure progress toward that goal. But I generally don't care that I get the certificate.

Do DXCC/WAS holders hold me in lower regard? I would expect they would! I would expect that they would see me as not having achieved DXCC/WAS - and in a fairly nominal way, they'd be right. But I'm comfortable with how nominal that difference is, and don't care what their opinion may be.

There is one local club who's condition for membership is an official DXCC award. For purposes of joining the club, I might apply for my DXCC cert...and that would be a compelling reason for me to get the cert. I have no problems with others having other compelling reasons for getting their own cert.

6. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok. Found the antenna launcher article:

The W4SSY Spudgun
    MAR 2009 - QST (PG. 67)
    http://p1k.arrl.org/pubs_archive/135468

It says "spudgun" but doesn't use a potato.

It is easy and fun to build and works well.

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim,

Please don’t muddy the water.

My point was merely to compare two ways a person could run the marathon; I could have easily picked something else, but stayed with your choice. And I am not touching the ethical implications and repercussions... just that it can be done.

To go down this road is to imply name calling, which is the last thing we need in a civil discussion.

N2EY likes this.
  8. N2EY

But....I LIKE Muddy Waters!

OK.

Having done two marathons and numerous shorter races, I thought it useful to point out some background.

Which is why I stopped at "bandits".

Here's an alternate analogy:

Suppose someone went to Hopkinton, MA, on the day before Patriot's Day, and ran the Boston Marathon course as a practice run.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Angry White Radio Lame? ;)

10. N2EY

Not yet.....

However, note this:

It is my understanding ARRL will issue certificates and endorsements for pretty much anything that is verifiable from the confirmation (LoTW or QSL card). For example, if you want a WAS for working only stations with 2x1 callsigns on 160 meter AM, all you need is to work them and make sure the confirmations include the fact that the QSOs were all made on 160 meter AM (and of course the callsigns, which are self-evident).

At least, that used to be the policy.

73 de Jim, N2EY