Worked All States

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sweepstakes never seem to fall at a time when I have the time.

AARL - Me being a dork, don't know where that came from. I meant AWRL :p

WZ7U likes this.
  2. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Add a "C" to that and you get CAWRL.

There's no point to me showing this.

W4IOA likes this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What does AWRL stand for?

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been the same time since I can remember: CW SS is first full weekend in November, Phone SS is third weekend in November.

SS runs from late Saturday afternoon until Sunday evening. 30 hours, of which you can operate up to 24 hours.

The exchange is long and does not include signal report.

5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i finally started chasing WAS - checking LOTW I see that I already qualify for: WAS CW / DIGI / 80 / 80CW / 40 / 40CW / 40 DIGI / 20 / 20cW / 20 DIGI / FT8 /

however, it would cost me over $100 to apply for all that via LoTW and I just don't care that much about WAS certifications to pay that...

W4IOA and WQ4G like this.
  6. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I poste an antenna launcher link, but it was the wrong one. I have to find the correct one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing. Or at least, nothing nice. It’s a “ding” on ARRL.

C’mon, you should know that. It’s been a pseudo-acronym in use on these forums by a few for years.

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

So? Don’t pay for it.

Ask someone (like W7UUU) for a template to make your own certificate. YOU know you did it. You have the logs and the LotW confirmations to show it. Isn’t that’s what’s important?

W4NNF likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, yes and no. It all depends on the person.

In my case, I worked WAS many times over, but never did the full monty of getting the confirmations and certificate lined up until last year. A big part of the reason was the cost of getting the paper QSLs - printing and postage are not insignificant costs. LoTW changed all that.

Here's an analogy:

Two runners decide to run a marathon. Both of them train properly.

One of them enters the New York City Marathon (the largest marathon in the world), travels to NYC, and completes the race on the appointed day, along with over 50,000 others.

The other measures out a loop course of exactly 2 miles 1094.5 yards that starts and ends at his/her front door. Ten laps of the course equals 26 miles 385 yards, the marathon distance. On a day when the weather and the runner's conditions are optimal, s/he runs the ten lap course, thereby running a marathon.

Both have run the marathon distance - but are the accomplishments the same?

Depends on the person.

W4NNF likes this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yep. depends on the person and what they value. I value DXCC and WAZ - the only things i pay for and frame - WAS just isnt that big of a deal for ME. Perhaps when I finish out the shack and need some more wallpaper I'll apply :)