ad: UR5CDX-1

Wordpad file to ADIF

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by W9AFB, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a way to convert a notepad file (.log) to ADIF. I am using DXkeeper to log and would like to upload an old log from a different logging program. I had saved that file as a notepad file a number of years ago and do not have the computer the old logging program was on.
    Thanks!

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't vouch for this program, but a Google search turned up this one: http://www.sp7dqr.waw.pl/en/converters.php

Scroll down to the one that says TXT2ADIF and click on it.

By all means, create a backup copy of your text file.... just in case!

3. W9AFB

I was looking at programs all morning and there seemed be be some possibilities, but didn't want to be downloading 10 different programs to see if one worked.
    Anyways, tried the one in your link. Looks like it may work, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Hopefully after FD there is a little more time to tinker with it.
    Thanks for the reply.

4. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you attach the file to an email message and send it to the email address shown on my QRZ page, I will take a look and recommend how best to import its contents.

Dave, AA6YQ

5. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was able to convert the file to ADIF by

1. importing it into Excel using fixed-width formatting
    2. adding a Header row with ADIF field names
    3. making a few bulk changes to put the data into ADIF format (e.g. 50 => 6m, 144 => 2m, PH => SSB)
    4. exporting a tab-delimited file
    5. importing the tab-delimited file into DXKeeper
    6. exporting an ADIF file

Dave, AA6YQ

6. W9AFB

HUGE thanks to Dave for his help in converting this log file! One of the many reasons why I like ham radio. Hams helping hams.
    The file was sucessfully uploaded to my logging program so now my 2004/2005 logs have made it back to the digital age!
    Scott

7. AD1L

AD1L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like Dave got you sorted out, but I thought it worth mentioning a free and useful piece of software.

Whenever I have to manipulate ADIF files I find 'ADIF Master' by Igor (UU0JC) to be very helpful. May not have helped you staring at the original format, not being sure how it was created.

But 'ADIF Master' will import .log files (Cabrillo, TR, CT log) and let you insert ADIF headings that the program has cataloged. You can also take existing ADIF files and change headings, duplicate columns, delete columns, find and replace data within columns, etc. etc.

I have been using it for years, thanks to Igor for maintaining it.
    http://www.dxshell.com/adif-master.html

Best regards,
    James - AD1L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.