Wondering about the possibility of adding a waterfall display to a Kenwood TS-570D

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K4KCY, Jul 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KCY

K4KCY Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there any way to add a separate waterfall display to a Kenwood TS-570D HF radio? Thanks!

2. VE6XT

VE6XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Without delving too deeply into it "almost certainly". It appears that your first IF is 73.050 MHz, well within the capabilities of an inexpensive "TV dongle". One of those plus HDSDR or SDR# (SDR Sharp) software running on your PC gives you a pretty competent waterfall. When you go shopping for a "TV dongle", get one that employs the RTL2832 chipset. This may sound like gobbledegook, but even Ebay knows how to sort it out. You will need to steal a tiny amount of the signal at 73.050 MHz for the dongle. I prefer to use a FET buffer so that the IF is not loaded down.

K4KCY likes this.
  3. K4KCY

K4KCY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. Unfortunately, my PC is on the other side of the room but I may have to change that soon and then look into the SDR possibilities.

4. VE6XT

VE6XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, a Raspberry Pi might work (I'm no expert on them!), and it's only $35 or so, and would not take up much desk space...

K4KCY likes this.