WolfWave vs CLRSpkr

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by W4CWL, Aug 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W4CWL

W4CWL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I own the West Mountain Radio CLRSpkr (http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=clr_spkr) DSP noise reduction speaker and it is fantastic. It has pulled audio out of the noise and made otherwise impossible QSOs possible for me. I simply love it, and can't imagine how I ever worked stations without it.

Along comes WolfWave by Sotabeams (https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/wolfwave-advanced-audio-processor/) and the individual reviews are impressive.

I know they aren't the same type of device exactly, but I'm interested to know if anyone has seen a head to head comparison of the DSP capabilities of these two devices. WolfWave has more bells and whistles, and seems to be a better deal overall, but I'm interested in the data, or at least some anecdotes. I know the plural of anecdote doesn't equal data, but it helps me decide whether to throw down $300 on a new toy or not.

Suggestions and references are welcome. Thanks!
    wes

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Neat looking little unit, the integrated audio spectrum display is a nice feature as is the audio compensation for older ears and diminished high frequency response.

The audio spectrum display is easy enough to implement by tapping your audio and running it into a PC running a free audio spectrum analyzer program. That's what I do and it's handy for adjusting things like filtering and IF shift and is also handy for quickly zero beating CW signals.

Can't give you any feedback on effectiveness especially compared to the ClearSpkr but it looks like a well thought out design with some nice features. I'd like to know how it compares to other audio DSP solutions like the Timewave products that also include noise reduction and variable passband filtering. The video linked above doesn't really do a great job showing how it reduces noise on hard to copy weak signals as most of the demos start with very clear signals where added noise reduction or filtering isn't all that necessary especially the S9 CW signals he tuned into during the demo.

W4CWL likes this.
  3. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

Last time I used timewave and NIR12 and it was some time ago they sounded terrible. the digital artifacts and the"underwater" effect was so pronounced it was a very big turnoff for me. perhaps it is better now with newer versions or firmware updates.

Had a chance to use clear speech speaker in friends mobile setup - it was very nice as I recall but can offer no specific details as it was long time ago and in less than perfect environment

Currently using BHI for SSB- it is nothing short of amazing- it cleans up speech without cutting off the highs without muddying it up, of course you can over-do it with the highest settings but regardless the lowest 4 or so levels are miraculous. I have the 'internal' bhi unit installed in the kenwood 850 in proper place between audio stages.
    I tried it in icom 706Mk2 with rather poor results - seems it didn't have enough drive level to drive the BHI to it's full potential, their instructions only show icom706mk2G which is slightly different so I had to figure out the differences and trace out the connections but eventually instead of making more involved mods I took it out and put it in the 850 and it is EXCELLENT.
    It is not meant for cw use however so you should consider it a downside but any AM broadcast, music or ssb audio is great.

Wolfwave has just introduced new features in the newest firmware- it is a free upgrade for all waolfwave owners
    New features include 3 BINAURAL modes for cw operation in other words simulated stereo for spacial effects where different pitches of sound appear in the different points in space / stereo field
    It is not really clear whether it is just left and right or whether it is also also forward/back -- phase in- phase out
    I have not heard this first hand other than their very short youtube demo video

This is a fantastic idea - not new but fantastic, they say unique, I would argue with that but ok, in my opinion this really gives wolfwave the edge over other DSPs for CW
    I'm currently using an analog archer video sound processor to achieve similar results of simulated stereo field.

this is what wolfwave says about new upgrades
    • NEW - three exciting binaural modes for SSB and CW VIDEO - must use stereo headphones
      • Unique spatial effects to enhance your listening experience different tones come from different directions
    • NEW - ten individually adjustable notches
      • Tailor the passband to your exact requirements
    • NEW - left-right balance control
      • One ear better than the other - no problem!

if anybody has first hand experience with this please post more details

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  4. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

Tried one early on and the DSP noise reduction was pretty good not great. The speaker ,West Mountain was very poor, so I gutted the unit and added my own speaker. Hope they improved on it.
    On some of the non DSP radios, not too bad ! Good luck.

5. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The CW “stereo” effect came across nicely on my iPad speakers. I didn’t see any SSB videos though.

6. KI8DJ

KI8DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a clearspeach speaker and it really eliminates noise but the time it takes to react after transmit makes it unusable to me.

When I unkey there is a blast of unfiltered audio and the unit takes up to 8 seconds to clean it up. This is very annoying so I took it out of service ok for just listening.

7. KD2AZI

KD2AZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Late to the party on this post; if you haven't looked at bhi, you may wish to check out their products. I bought a ParaPro on a whim at Dayton, and use that with my Swan - works very well. This week I also tried it in the car with the FT-891, and works well in that position too. Admittedly I have not tried WolfWave or ClrSpkr. The parametric settings take some experimenting, and it's a welcome addition to the shack.