ad: elecraft

WOLFWAVE advanced audio processor to give away

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by G3CWI, Dec 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G3CWI

G3CWI Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a nice device. I find myself adjusting my IF shift to accentuate freq response for more highs in recvd audio. Glad to see I'm not alone. Will check out your YT channel.

73 de Tom

G3CWI likes this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Q: What happens when the unit is set to a passband width narrower than the receiver's bandwidth, and a strong interfering signal enters the receiver?
    A: The strong interfering signal causes the receiver AGC to reduce gain, decreasing the signal supplied level to the unit.

IOW, you want selectivity AHEAD of the receiver's AGC circuit.

1 person likes this.
  4. G3CWI

Thanks - you're right but that's not always possible of course. And WOLFWAVE is not just about selectivity. If you win it you can let us know how it sounds!

5. WA7PRC

Especially during crowded band conditions, selectivity can be VERY important. Many rigs can use selectable IF filters and/or use slope tuning or IF shift. Companies such as InRad produce aftermarket IF filters that are quite good, and many current rigs use digital processing in the IF to effect user-defined passbands.

I like the IF filters + slope tuning in my rig. Combined w/ the aftermarket roofing filter, nothing else is needed. :)

6. G3CWI

Unfortunately crystal filters are becoming rather scarce as manufacturers cease production (and I don't think that many include a CW decoder etc!). Happy Christmas.

7. WA7PRC

InRad (http://www.inrad.net/) continues to offer IF filters that are better (sharper) than many legacy OE filters. After adding their "roofing" filter, my rig's blocking dynamic range increased yuugely. Again, the BEST location for selectivity is prior to any AGC detector.
    After five decades, the best Morse decoder still is the grey matter between my ears.