ad: elecraft

Wolf River Coils - A Budget Friendly, Yet Superb Quality Vertical Antenna!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Aug 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Testing out the Wolf River Coil Silver Bullet 1000 with the MFJ-1979 as a ground mounted vertical antenna. (using 4 radials, 2-16', 2-32')

(Any whip can generally be used - I prefer the MFJ-1979 due to its flexibility & compact size)

I ordered & received the tripod from Wolf River Coils after reading KB1HQS review of the antenna in the July 2017 issue of QST (outstanding review!) .

Deployed the antenna at the urban antenna farm of K5ACL and did some testing with Digi Modes on 30 meters!

Come check it out! Always love sharing info on a great product that's at a great price!

WW5RM, AJ4EM, N4GST and 6 others like this.
  2. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a trailer hitch mount for the SO 239 to 3/8 x 24 adapter and used the smaller Wolf River Coil with a 102" whip and one radial for 20 meters. It works. Kind of hard to drive with the radial dragging! :)
    good portable setup.
    AF4RK

YC7OCS, W8GMD, N4GST and 5 others like this.
  3. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I discovered the 1979 about 2 years ago. I also have the smaller Wolf River coil mainly for use on 30/40 meters. You are correct, very portable and light. I don't think your set up is "a little pricey" considering the options, such as the loops that are popular today. I use mine with the jaws clamps but like the looks of the tripod. I only use 4 radials with mine also.

W5KV and AK5B like this.
  4. KE7DUX

KE7DUX Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it - seems to be the same concept as a Buddistick, Superantenna, Screwdrivers, PAC-12 etc. Prices are pretty good too.

I would imagine you could get even better efficiency if you added some rod underneath it as well? Something like a couple that you can get from buddipole that have the standard 3/8-24 threads.

My biggest complaint with my superantenna is how touchy the tuning is, even when using a longer, more efficient whip like the buddipole 10ft whip. (which puts the total length of the setup at ~13ft)

How is the tuning while using the 1979, and have you used a shorter whip with it? I would imagine that If I paired it with the 1979, that the tuning would become easier, however, I would then start to deal with how to pack it along - having everything under 12" makes life easier for me when packing.

N7GND, NN8P and W5KV like this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like it, too and will also add that for home (less portable use) setups users might want to add a short Hustler-style mast extension rod to create a center-loaded monopole version---it will bring the current up higher and away from lossy ground in the process. If a cap hat could be affixed to the top of whatever whip is used that will be all the more fruitful, too.

Just always thinking of improving something that is good to begin with to make it closer to the best it can be. Setting the whole works atop a table or other support even just a few feet above ground will also make your antenna more efficient (even without any other modifications).

73 and thanks for the informative videos you provide,

Jeff

YC7OCS and W5KV like this.
  6. KC9VYX

KC9VYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used a wolf river coil with a 102 inch whip for almost 5 years fave added lots of radials over the years mybe 20 orso in a snow fence around the antenna to keep my dog out. have made over 10,000 contacts on SSB on 17m 20m 40m and 80m have ARRL dxcc QRZ dxcc EQSL dxcc have contacted all 50 states 48 confermed The people who make the coils terry and garry and I are in the same club W9ZL but i only use the coils were Terry N9AOT and Garry KB9AIT make the coils and are trying to make better newer coils and antennas all the time 73 KC9VYX MIKE

W5KV likes this.
  7. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used shorter whips, I have one that's 102", and one that is around 80 or so inches I believe. It can be finicky 'sometimes' lol. I think the first time I tuned this antenna it took me the better part of 10 minutes, but now that I've got the hang of it, I can usually get it to an acceptable SWR within a minute or so. I always opt for the telescopic whip though so I can use it by itself and get a perfect 1/4w vertical on 20m. Its certainly not as hard to tune as my mag loop is...!

I'll have to try the monopole setup sometime... and the elevated approach!

thanks,

Johnny, K5ACL

KE7DUX likes this.
  8. KC8RJS

KC8RJS Ham Member QRZ Page

We bought both the mini and SB1000 one was for our club the mini was for a hamfest prize. A simple 3/8-24 mounted to a copper rod and 8 radials 4 35' 4 10' works very well.

W5KV likes this.
  9. KE7DUX

KE7DUX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that is likely just the nature of these coils. Once I make a guide, it becomes easier - I also purchased a cheap chinese Analyzer - also helps! I think I will need to keep my eyes peeled for that 1979 on the used gear forums to have that great efficiency on 20m when able.

Of course, I still like end fed halfwave, or just end fed longwires as well if I have trees. But, gotta have something that is self-supporting as well.

KK5R and W5KV like this.
  10. W8JH

W8JH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video as usual-Keep up the good work Johnny!

Of course you can cover 10 through 20m without the Wolf River Coil. In addition you may have forgotten the MFJ-1979 will collapse small enough to work on 6m as well!

Simply extend enough whip for a quarter wave vertical on any band 6-20m and you have a quarter wave vertical. I calculated the length for each band before I found this handy reference: http://www.kd5fx.com/FXportable/fx_portable_antenna.htm

Simply print out Dave's handy chart and you don't even need to be able to do simple math, just use a tape measure and go! I use a jaws style clamp and 4 radials but there are many ways to git-er-done.

Joe, W8JH

YC7OCS and W5KV like this.
  11. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, now you've got me interested in learning more about cap hats. Having one brings the focal point of radiation up higher? That sounds like a real winner, to me.

12. KG7ZZT

KG7ZZT Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the Portable Vertical, which is a Wolf River Coil with a base designed to mount on a ground rod or a narrow pipe, and three quick-snap segments of vertical tube. Takes up a bit more room to store (I bought a ski bag to put the whole setup in) and requires a coax pigtail which isn't included, but I've got a setup with a 4-foot tall stand made from about 16 feet worth of steel pipe and T joints which lets me throw the antenna up and get it tuned for whatever band within a few minutes. Once I'm done operating, I can get it taken down just as fast, which hopefully will keep me from annoying the neighbors too much on my street.

And in the fine tradition of using sledgehammers to swat grasshoppers, it also picks up the local AM radio stations perfectly, in case you want to use a $600 transceiver to listen to a ballgame.

W5KV likes this.
  13. YC7OCS

YC7OCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I like - an interesting concept for portable use. Thank you for the video you gave and 73.

Greetings from indonesia to you.

Suri, YC7OCS

W5KV likes this.
  14. AB9PM

AB9PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use mine portable off of the vehicle. I use a hustler mast and the 102 inch whip on top of the SB 1000 coil. I also have it so that I can quickly switch 3 bands, 75 meters, 40 meters, 20 meters. 17 meters is a little more tricky, I have to collapse the antenna.

15. W3OY

W3OY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the Silver Bullet 1000 TIA system with Mega Pod... Use it out the window of my apartment. Expected it to be good because local hams recommend it but was BLOWN AWAY by its performance. Got my General upgrade 2 weeks ago and have made Dx contacts to 20 countries now. Mostly South America and Europe but as far as Sri Lanka.

Btw. I'm using it and an ICOM IC-718 running 95 watts.