ad: hrd-2

Wolf Coil antennas?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KJ4RT, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering if anyone is running one of these and if so what are any pros or cons and results. Saw one being reviewed on youtube by KB9VBR but didn't give a lot of info on the contacts made so just thinking I might try one, specifically looking at the portable vertical.

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the 1000 coil with a 102" steel whip extension for WFD this year.
    Located in SW Tn at Pickwick lake, phone contacts were steady using 100 watts.

EZ setup and tuning from 10 thru 40 with the steel whip.
    later in the day, we switched to the 20 foot braided wire, pulled up thru a tree branch. it did MUCH better on 40. I didn't use it on 75/80.

Overall, it's a decent product and worth the price.

3. W6GMT

W6GMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Used the portable vertical all summer in the campground with very good results. it works with just the 3 radials BUT more are better ended up with 16 radials was there for 3 months. worked over 2000 contacts CW phone and Digital. The owners are great guys and easy to work with. if you run digital pay heed to power limitations. Main bands used 20,30,40 . I will put it up again next spring not sure I want to change coil setting in 6 feet of snow and or -40 below temps.

4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

NH7RO likes this.
  5. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Are those for the weather conditions or the coil performance, Dan?

Either way, I suspect a Texas Bugcatcher coil would have higher Q if efficiency matters...

6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The WX! Yikes!

7. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

While mine was a rhetorical question I do agree; -40 is hideous weather!

8. W6GMT

YES it is and we get a couple of days at that temp every year . Stepper told me that kind of temp was out of there operating range. The Wolf River vertical has the coil made out of what looks like ABS plastic pipe that will become brittle in that temperature range a 30 mile an hour wind would most likely snap the coil. The antenna will go up again in mid April one of its strong points was working 30 meters.

9. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a coax pigtail to use to connect to an analyzer when you re-adjust the coil?

10. W6GMT

yes I use an analyzer to check SWR every time I change bands. makes adjusting the coil easy. I also mark the sweet spot in the coil with a marker