Wit's end with unknown source of RFI

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K4VBB, Dec 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No idea what that is. I'm out. But I've heard something similar also.

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious- has anyone tried turning off all of the lights except an incandescent flashlight? 20 Khz. might be a switch-mode power supply- common in LED systems including grow lights ( raising that funny herb? ) and most CFL ( mercury-vapor ) lamps. Neon signs can also have RFI-producing power supplies.

WQ4G likes this.
  3. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Could be coming from an electric fence at the Crystal Blue Ranch...

4. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Over The Horizon Radar. I new model I believe. From Russia with love.

5. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was waiting for someone to give us the requisite "OTHR" answer.

6. W5EKG

W5EKG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've seen security camera's, particularly an Axis Communications POE PTZ camera that had 100' run of cat6 cause an identical signal to this.

WQ4G and KB0MNM like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When everything in the house was turned off at the breaker, did you make sure that no battery powered or backed up devices were still operating?

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Super simple to test. Not familiar with your SDR, I own a SPRPlay RSP2 and an Airspy HF+. Happens to me on both, although the SDR is chronic and more pronounced. You will know instantly if it will work or not. As you turn down the RF Gain the false signals (intermod), you wil notice on the spectrum the false signal fades.

The bad news if that is the problem, I do not know how to fix it other than RF Gain. It may not even be intermod on my units, I suspect the units just goes into oscilations. You should not need much RF Gain for HF. Even though it is an SDR Radio, it still operates like its analog cousin. Example say SSB. You would turn the AF Gain up, a long way up, then use RF Gain to control audio level like you would operate on a analog radio.

9. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do have an extensive IT system providing the household IT needs (and wants), and it is run on a UPS. But I powered that down as well. I even waited until the last capacitor in the last power supply was drained. There wasn't an electron moving in the entire AC grid.

10. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately it's not the SDR. These are not false signals, and I get them even with the SDR completely disconnected, and on rigs that are not SDR capable. It appears to be something in the 'hood'.