Wires-X FTM-100dr noise during Rx

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W7ESR, Apr 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7ESR

W7ESR Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone experienced an odd noise during receive while working wires X? My FTM – 100DR receives an odd buzzing/clicking noise when receiving a signal from wires X direct node. It comes through the speaker, as it’s still present if I plug in headphones. The buzzing and clicking does not turn up or down the the volume knob. Is still present during Rx even if vol is turned all the way down. All the firmware is up-to-date and has no issues with connecting to wires X. I’ll try to upload a vid to YouTube.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like digital noise. My external to the computer,USB speakers make a similar sound and are powered by the USB power. When I do transfers to something like my Uniden scanner I can hear in the speakers a similar sound. I chalk it up to poor filtering in the USB power section. Your setup is completely different, but has a similar sound. For me I just ignore it as it's very low level and does not affect that I can tell on the audio that's suppose to be there. I know my 400DX will have low level pops/transitions heard on the squelched side when the other side is active. I've seen comments about that too. Another for me ignore as best as possible. No real fix I know or have heard of.

Mike

W7ESR likes this.
  3. W7ESR

I will try changing USB ports and maybe ferrite will help. I’ll give that a shot! Thanks. 73

4. VE3PHZ

VE3PHZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let us know if you figure it out, mine does the exact same thing!

W7ESR likes this.
  5. W7ESR

I changed the port to various 2.0 and 3.0 ports. I checked the port baud rates and adjusted them. I tried various ferrite snap ons, I also did a chip check for my cable and downloaded the most recent prolific USB driver. All with no change. I emailed the vid to Yeasu support and we will see if they give a tech support tip to help fix it.

6. W7ESR

Yaesu Support responded with their canned answer... @ $70 an hour...
    "I recommend you send the radio in for service so our technicians can take a look at it." "Here is the following information on how to send you radio in for service."

No ideas of if they have seen the issue before or troubleshoot attempts, just send it back in and we will look at it..... $$$$$$$$$$$

Gotta love it. Ill keep hunting for options to fix it.

7. W7ESR

I now agree with you on the digital noise. I've been trouble shooting. I've used a 400xdr and the 100dr and can get the noise to happen in both using the same and different combos of cables. Not a radio issue. So now onto the computer running the software. I've updated everything I can and reinstalled Wires-X software. I'm not any closer to a solution but now know I don't need to send in my radio for service. This comming weekend I will try to set it up on an alternative computer to see where it lands. Thanks for the info! 73

8. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It will be interesting to hear what you find. If you are into digital modes on HF then you might be familiar SignaLink USB adaptor. As built the device uses the USB +5V for power. One of the modification is to change where/how the unit is internally wired for power. I forget the details, but the waterfall noise on the decoding software is lowered significantly at the lower audio frequencies. Upshot is that USB power can leave a lot to be desired.

Good Luck!
    Mike

W7ESR likes this.
  9. VE3PHZ

VE3PHZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I find there is a distinctive pattern to the noise, with the last second or two of each voice transmission resulting in a specific (and identical) noise pattern each time. (So its not random noise generated by PC hardware such as hard drive).

W7ESR likes this.
  10. W7ESR

I’ve played on multiple computers with various configs. What sound cards are both of you using? I’m starting to think it’s driver related or sound card related on the computer side.

I reformatted an old computer and it would not allow the radio to connect via “on-air lock”. At the time it mentioned no audio found. The computer had Realtek audio on the motherboard. When I added my sound blaster USB audio it allowed the lock to turn off and I could connect. Also tried with virtual cables.

I assume it’s audio card related at this point. Next step is to get ahold of a different audio card and see what happens.