ad: CQMM-1

Wireless Network Operator suggests to revoke Amateur Radio 9cm and 13cm bands in Brazil.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RN, Nov 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and this is the data base by which it becomes clear we are not using this band. It's a simple pie chart, expressed either as # hams using the band vs the total population in a given country, or total number of contacts on the band vs total number of (projected) contacts on VHF/UHF.

The fact that we have these activities only highlights that no one, save for a very few, wants to use this band, and in the US, those users have not met other criteria for the Part 97 mission statement in a convincing way.

MORE THAN A DECADE ago, I actually proposed a band plan whereby hams gave up all but 20 MHz of the 3300 band. I was treated like some sort of traitor.

Now, its likely we will lose it all in the next 5 years, IMO.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you assume that this list of QSOs are the only users of the band?

Plenty of point to point wifi stuff going on, too.

I'm taking a hard line, never ever give up any spectrum. It's like negotiating with a psychopath, they won't reciprocate and are relentless... Infinite loss, no gain.

Like the ex wife.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a psychopath and have no experience with an ex-wife. So I am afraid I do not relate to the analogy.

You have defined the very metric that will be cited to show an absence of activity.

The spectrum is lost if you don't use it with non-trivial numbers, and give evidence for is use.

Please tell us why that doesn't make sense.

We should hold onto this spectrum because...? Please help us see compelling reasons that would make sense outside the subset of a very small number of hams.

Chip W1YW

4. PQ2SI

PQ2SI Ham Member QRZ Page

In Brazil, who´s using these band? In mosto places, scanning 2m and UHF there are few people using. Do not use, it is free. Fortunately, the HF band is still OK, but we must work, it is ours. Only in contests I listen pile ups (propagation only works in that cases?). Everybody is quiet using only FT8. Let´s use HF, people, before they arrest from us.
    73! PQ2SI

5. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a dangerous statement!
    Incrementalism! A little here, a little there.....before you know it half of the band has been sold off.
    As an as an American ham, I’m protecting every Hz of the amateur band!
    Once it’s gone, it’s gone! Just like 220-222 MHz. Remember this?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  6. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. This band has never been available in Region 1. Not in my time, that is.

7. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Region II has the
    1.25 meter band. That wasn’t the point.
    I’m not going to explain.

8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I know what your point was. But I still believe that having 100MHz bandwidth for amateur use is quite pointless as I stated in my original post. Most of the SHF bands are quite empty and currently available modulation methods don't need that amount. So it is logical that we loose parts of the SHF bands to commercial applications. Someone argued that we might invent new modulation methods for amateur use that might need that kind of bandwidth but I seriously doubt that.

9. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wide band modes are easily generated by transmit capable SDR's. Here's a 30 MHz wide DVB-S2 signal capable of 110 Mbps throughput.

[​IMG]

Here's a block diagram of my Internet backbone test bed.

[​IMG]