Wireless electric vehicle chargers could seriously endanger radio reception.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Sep 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Wireless Power Transfer for Electric Vehicles (WPT-EV), currently under development as electric vehicles are expected to gradually replace petroleum-run cars in coming decades, risks posing serious interference problems to amateur and other radio communications. The technology is similar to that used for wireless cell phone chargers, but on a much grander scale. Wireless electric vehicle chargers typically operate at power levels of 20 kW or more. Frequency bands being considered include 19 - 25 kHz, 50-60 kHz and 79 - 90 kHz.

RF pollution from these devices could be severe to say the least. The combination of long charging time to fully refill the batteries, harmonics inevitably produced by such devices, and widespread use throughout densely populated residential areas, could effectively wipe out radio reception in many neighbourhoods. WPT-EV developers are seeking to have the noise floor legally increased to 30 - 45 dB above current limits (and we all know how effective existing regulations have been in limiting interference).

If you thought interference from plasma TVs and switching power supplies was bad, wait till you have 20-kW rf generators operating all around you, each one spewing out harmonics all over the MF and HF spectrum.

http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter?issue=2020-09-24#toc05

W1BR and N0TZU like this.
  2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

We likely won't be around and the kids don't care about HF.

I notice that some red light sensors also disrupt my car radio, on FM!

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m skeptical about large numbers of high power wireless chargers being commercially viable. But assuming they would be, I expect they could raise the noise floor on VLF frequencies used for submarines. I wonder if the world’s nuclear armed navies are thinking about this.

4. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This something to keep track of.

Has this corp or corps petitioned the FCC to use any of these devices in those bands?

I have bad flashbacks of that Wood Drying kiln in Pa. spewing noise all over the 80m band.

Pheel

5. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Look at all the dorks going nuts over 5G.

This system is way worse.

W1BR, AG5CK and N0TZU like this.
  6. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Cross-posting is a hazard to AM modes. ;)

KP4SX likes this.
  7. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

How much less efficient is wireless charging vs wired? I read that the wireless cell phone chargers are about 70% efficient compared to the standard wall charger.

Does that mean we'll need to burn 30% more coal to charge these electric cars? There's probably some complex math to be done here.

K4KYV, W2VW, N7EKU and 1 other person like this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me do that in my head ...

Yes.

AC0OB, N7EKU and (deleted member) like this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They aren't sending 20kw several feet away :rolleyes:

10. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

You should find the guy who said they were doing that and set him straight.

I was looking at Tesla chargers earlier today. They need just under 10kw input to the charger to charge at a rate of 15 miles of range per hour.

That seems like a significant amount of juice to me. For that reason I would be concerned with efficiency.

Why kind of person buys an electric car to save the world and wastes electricity because he's too lazy to pick up an extension cord. Even if you're not a tree hugger it would be nice to know how much more it will cost to charge wirelessly.

K4KYV and AC0OB like this.