"""WIRE"""

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K9KXW, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have close neighbours, be careful, use low power first and check that you aren't causing "little problems"

G0GQK

2. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Always sound advice! :eek:

it is also imperative to get your antennas as high as possible to reduce RFI as well. Just another excuse, not that you needed one, to increase your antenna's height!

3. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

At home depot, for a mere $25, you can get a 500' roll of 14 ga insulated stranded copper wire. There is a lot of antenna experimentation in 500' of wire.

www.hamuniverse.com

Click "Antenna Design" on the left side of the main page.

Knock yourself out! :D

Paul
    AE5JU

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Save some of the wire, or buy more bare wire, for all those radials you need for a vertical or "inv L" ant. !!!

5. K9KXW

K9KXW Ham Member QRZ Page

QUESTION ABOUT MY WIRE ANTENNA

I respect your guys position on the use of the (GROUND RADIALS), but my intentions were for an end fed zep, Marconi, long-wire or whatever you would like to call it.

I live in a mobile home park "LIMITED ON SPACE" so the long-wire was what I decided to try and it ended up as an inverted-L shape do to height of vertical part of the antenna.

We are having rain and snow right now, but its supposed to get in the High-Thirties and Mid-Forties this week so I will rethink my situation again.

I have talked to my neighbors and no problems with any interferience with 100 watts form my Yaesu FT-857D.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions and I'm still listening.

73 Jim
    KC9KXW

6. KC0NBW

KC0NBW Ham Member QRZ Page

one problem with using copper wire is that it will stretch and break relatively quickly after being suspended in the air.

a 1000 foot roll of galvanized steel fence wire will cost you about $20 or less and will last for many years.

polypropylene corner insulators for electric fences also work great for antennas!

have at it !:D

7. K9KXW

K9KXW Ham Member QRZ Page

"""FINAL WIRE DECISION"""

Well I finally decided on my antenna situaition.

I have a 40/10 Meter (FAN DIPOLE) and I'm going to just add my 100 foot wire (+) add more wire to make the 80 Meter the """right length for the half-wavelength needed""".

Later when the weather breaks for spring I am going to Tractor Supply Co. and get that 1000 foot of galvanized steel fence wire that was suggested and start playing with the 80 Meter loop.

So when I get the 80 Meter dipole up I will catch you guys on the air (CW BANDS) of course. I will be on 80/40 in the evening and night, 15 and maybe 10 if it opens.

PS: If you make a contact with me, """PLEASE GO SLOW AND BE PATIENT WITH ME""", I just had a MINI-STROKE almost a month ago right as I had been studying "CW". I can here and know the letters and words, """BUT""" I have a little bit of a tough time getting it from (EAR TO PAPER). I have been fortunate enough to have a couple contacts that worked VERY hard with me to get a couple of QSO's, thank the Lord. :D

73 Jim
    KC9KXW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.