ad: GreatLakes-1

wire antennas

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4CUM, Sep 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

it does... but the OP said he has 40 foot towers

that is plenty to get the guy going.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not for 80m or 160m DX, it doesn't.

There's a good reason W6AM's wire antennas were up 120 feet above ground.

W6OGC probably remembers Don; I sure do and met him twice.

A loop at 40' above ground is a cloud-warmer on 160 and 80, although it starts coming into its own on 40m.

3. KK6NOH

not a 2x wavelength loop

K6LPM likes this.
  4. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I just put up a 40 meter delta loop fed with a home brew 4:1 balun. Only up about 15 feet but seems to work really well. Third contact was with Hawaii running 100 watts.

Bill - K5MIL

K6LPM likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, they were all multi-wavelength rhombics.

6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm fascinated to know more, as this seems to fly in the face of what could be considered conventional wisdom.

I don't have room for 2X on 160 but could do 2X on 80 if it would free me from the curse of low height. I have 2X on 40 of course and can't say it seems that much better.

7. KK6NOH

here is a nice article about it
    http://www.k4wdr.com/content/images/WireLoop.pdf

8. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

As your article discloses, the patterns are studied at 50 feet above average good ground.

I guess that is better than 1/4 wavelength on 160 as is generally regarded as about the minimum for non cloud warmer status.

9. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Multiple wavelengths at low heights will create unpredictable amounts of nulls and lobes. With any luck these will kinda squish and flatten in your favor.

10. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just get some wire up in the air and get on the air. Odds are, whatever you put up will get you contacts and you can take it from there.

Virtually all wire antenna designs have been around for at least 80 years. You can wait to get the whole 80 years sliced and diced here or you can just get on the air.

Every first wire antenna is just a starting point; a work in progress. Even some of my early mistakes actually worked pretty well.

73, Mike

WA8FOZ and K6LPM like this.