Wire antennas

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W7GTG, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can get some, telephone company "drop wire" is superb. It looks like 2-conductor lamp cord, but it's the toughest stuff on the planet, or at least used to be. It's hard to work with, and you'll probably hurt yourself at some point. You have to seperate the conductors (not easy) and then work very hard to strip, wrap and solder as necessary. But if you manage to get it up in the air, almost nothing will bring it down except a farily large tree falling directly across it.

If you make nice with a local TELCO tech, you can probably get some "salvage" for free.

2. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding those homeowner's associations, remember what Groucho Marx said, "I would not join any club that would have someone like me as a member." If there's an association involved, buy elsewhere.

Look at any covenants yourself, before you write any checks. Don't take a realtor's word for anything. It's usually impossible to back out of deal just because you find a restrictive covenant you don't like, such as one against antennas.

Tisha is right about the spirit stuff. That's exactly what's happening.

3. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto about not trusting a realtor. I have personally been visiting display homes that I am 100% aware of the presence of a homeowners' association, and hear the "salesman" tell prospective customers: "no, there is nothing to stop you from . . .". This is a very common practice. You get the suprise after you move in.

4. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

You certainly can use any wire as an antenna - the question then becomes how robust it will be.

The only disadvantage to house wire is that it can stretch a bit when new - if you use a tuner you will probably never notice, and it's not quite as strong - again you may never notice - by definition, wire antennas are all temporary.

I personally like hard-drawn copper antenna wire - it's fairly easy to work with, strong enough for an 80 meter dipole end supported only with RG-8x. And it's price is not horrible. It's strong and flexible and solders easily.

However, I'm fixing to build a large loop and I'm going to use house wire, 12 gauge. Between the loop and the open wire feedline I'm looking at around 1,000' of wire.

5. KJ6CEA

KJ6CEA Guest

Extension cords 16gauge stranded 3x 100ft for around $13

that is if its worth it

6. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use 14 ga stranded insulated wire for my dipoles.

I need insulated wire as my dipoles have to run right through the the branches of a maple tree.

It also helps cut down on the snow static.

Plus it was free :D

A little tip. Stretch the wire before cutting it to the length you need. Tie one end off on a tree or whatever solid post you have. Roll out the wire and then wrap it around a piece of pipe or whatever you have that will not break. Then pull on it to stretch it out.

It makes it easier to work with and when you build the dipole it will not stretch much after that. I learned this little trick when building quads out of house wiring. I never had any droop in the wire elements when doing it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.