WinXP---find lost file

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA9J, May 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9J

KA9J Ham Member QRZ Page

I was updating my online log, and I intended to drag the WSJTX log program into a desktop folder that I use to move the log to so I have a place to import it to the logging program. I think I let go of the mouse button too soon, and pooof....the file was lost. It was no longer in the WSJTX log folder, and it never got to the usual folder. I did a search using WINXP's search, and then I tried Recuva in case the file had been deleted. Neither way found a trace of the file. I found several old versions of the file, but the current version never appeared. Any ideas of what else I can do? There were several good contacts on the latest that aren't on the version that's about a week old.

Frank KA9J

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Open a command prompt, and type:

cd \
    dir /s <name>

But put the actual file name in place of <name>.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Ooops! I did that once (or similar). It moved instead of copied and when I was done I deleted it. If you run JT Alert you can use its log to recreate the missing contacts.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Look in the Recycle Bin.

AG6QR and ND6M like this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

When you first upgrade, back up. backup backup. I know, it's sometimes a hassle, but it beats having to recreate files, if even possible. Some people back-up daily. I do a file back up weekly, and a full image on a monthly basis. then again, I don't keep financial or personally on my computer HD; that's either on a CD, +/-DVD, or flash disk, in more than one place. IF my computer gets hacked, the hackers will say "DUH! WHY did we bother?"