ad: Schulman-1

Winter Field Day AAR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Feb 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Another good one, Do you have anything coming forward on the windows install. Been having a bit of a time with my microcomputer. I skipped the one you have because I wanted direct 12v power supply. I had issues with the install looking good on paper but even after adjusting sound settings both WSJTX and JS8 were deaf. Added a small usb sound card and waiting for a cable now. Hopefully that will fix it. Using 891.

OLDARCHER likes this.
  3. N1IPU

Don't tell that to the ARRL or contesters.

OLDARCHER likes this.
  4. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say everyday an amateur is operating is a practice day... collective we are at the ready to assist in an emergency. Human nature and the tools we possess. I the meantime it's QSO's and technology fun 365. BE ready.

Standing by for the call. WA6VVC / WA6CAM

OLDARCHER and US7IGN like this.
  5. VA7AON

VA7AON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another excellent video Julian. I really appreciate your hard work and enthusiasm in making these very informative videos. You're an example of the best in ham radio.

OLDARCHER likes this.
  6. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Julian,

Hi heard your remark about using bottom-balanced LiFePO4 batteries and you questioning if that would be a good solution in an emergency situation, as opposed to using a battery pack with all the "safety measures" added.

Try look at it this way: all the "safety measures added" assumingly means a pack with a BMS/balancing system. All this extra electronics can get defective in an emergency situation, leaving you with a battery pack in an unknown state.
    On the other hand, a bottom-balanced pack doesn't have and need a balancing system. You only need a voltmeter to keep track of your battery. So no electronics breaking down could jeopardize your battery pack, unless of course, you run out of voltmeters :) But the only thing you need to know is when the pack is full (you've assesed that voltage when charging the first time after bottom balancing) and the voltage when the pack is empty. And even that voltage has a safety range of 10V (absolute minimum) to 11.2V ("empty"). In short: the bottom knee in the voltage curve is always well known and the top knee is established at the first charge. And without a balancer you always know where the knees are. Of course, to assess the current battery charge, you always need a coulomb-counter.

That reminds me of the convenience of having 2 batteries inside the FT-897: when one battery is empty, you know that you're half way your battery capacity :)

73, Meindert - PA0MHS

7. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian, you are a HARDCORE HAM, my friend!!!! Always great videos and projects! How did you end up in OH land??? I'm jealous! I visite0d Helsinki in the 80's. BEAUTIFUL country!

73, Pete

OLDARCHER likes this.
  8. KC1MIJ

KC1MIJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm struggling with the audio as well since I have experience with the raspberry Pi but when I lowered the volume on output I was able to receive.
    Also as an FYI, after you buy the connectify MAX hotspot software; you need to install TightVNC as a service and have no UI then his screenshot. Afterwards just IPCONFIG, find your native network adapter IP4 address as the ip you connect to.
    Have to work on moderating the audio level and eventually it will be ready to go.
    73 de KC1MIJ

9. N1IPU

Well I added the sabrent sound card and it works but but not enough audio out to drive the radio past 5 watts. Trying another soundcard and should be here today but still curious what Julians setup is.

10. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work on your Portable EMCOMM kit, question do you daisychain your Lightsaver Max to a larger Solar panel or use it by itself?

OLDARCHER likes this.
  11. KW4WA

KW4WA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was very disappointed that the great majority of stations I worked were from home stations and some of them using amplifiers.
    The spirit of any Field Day is to go out and setup a station away from home.
    I hope that for next year's event, the organizers set up some rules delineating power source (AC, Solar, Battery, etc.), maximum power on transmission (QRP, QRO, etc.) and location.
    For me, the event ended up being just a regular contest, not a Field Day.

OLDARCHER and W1SRR like this.