WINLINK terrorist protection

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Aug 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

A member of the WINLINK development team became aware of some persons' expressed concerns over the idea that some terrorists could use winlink to send encrypted material to attack the United States.

It turns out that the winlink system
    "will detect PGP encrypted messages to or from a US callsign and detect password protected (zip style -- .zip, .docx, .xlsx, etc.) attachments. In both cases the message is flagged in our database and rejected"

I will ask them if they have ever caught any terrorists......

I know that I attempted to send a .exe file....not having it!

I hope this is sufficient.
    Gordon Gibby KX4Z

WU8Y likes this.
  2. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first heard this a few months ago I got a good laugh out of it. Terrorists have all the untraceable, encrypted technology they need with cellphones and private VPN's, and absolutely no need to use the amateur radio service for such traffic. Besides, they're too busy hating the world to spend time trying to figure out how to make ham equipment work for them.

Same joke with terrorists and cameras- as a pro photographer, I used to get looks whenever I took pictures outside because of my pro equipment- even had the police called on some photographer friends of mine while taking pictures in a park. Terrorists don't use $5000 cameras- they use cellphones.

You want to stop terrorists? Start at the Verizon store.

WA8FOZ, N1FMV, KA2FIR and 6 others like this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

more like the corner convenience store's pre-paid cellular phone kiosk...

WA8FOZ, KF2M, KA2FIR and 4 others like this.
  4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks...but a very famous, highly resourceful ham at a prestigious university has a ton of people very concerned that the downfall of the Republic rests of stopping WINLINK from passing terrorists' information.

So all i can do is try to address their concerns.
    Cheers,
    Gordon

5. KA2IRQ

Well, I'm not famous, highly resourceful, or at a prestigious university... but for what it's worth, all three of those have suffered in my eyes because of these antics. After hearing some discussions from smart people in the software circles, it appears that he was attempting to spread a little fear, uncertainty, and doubt while garnering attention.

In my eyes, there were way better ways to do this.

KX4O likes this.
  6. KA2IRQ

Yes, I was being "symbolic."

7. WF4W

The more i think about it though, if i'm a terrorist I realize that virtual "private" network still traverse the interwebz and would be suspicious if they're actually 'private' and not passing through NSA monitoring.

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

And do you think since the WINLINK people are in cahoots with the Department of Homeland Security [via their participation as the digital message passing system for SHARES] that just MAYBE someone there has dealt with this issue appropriately???

9. WF4W

maybe. i dunno. i was talking about phones utilizing cellular and other WANs... didnt mean to imply anything..

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this silly tbread day?

KK4NSF, NL7W and ND6M like this.